Thread: 1998 3500 6.5TD Van Advice For Reliability

Default 1998 3500 6.5TD Van Advice For Reliability

A high-miler with over 130k on the rebuild after a franchise oil change disaster. Been reading about the FSD, oil line leaks, etc.

Using for business and don't want hassles, so I'd like to take care of problems before putting on the road. The Heath cooler doesn't have any fins so I really don't understand the design. The SS? Coloer at least has the fins. I was thinking of an sscooler with an electric fan remotely mounted with a Kennedy harness. Where to mount it on a van? And can I leave the old FSD on the pump and just get another? How much are they and where is a good supplier?

I believe DSG has a stainless braided oil line kit with a new cooler for around $235, anyone have any experience with this?

Glow plugs and relays? I see a quick start plug on ebay and was wondering if this is the way to go? I don't know if the van has dual batteries which this seller says is required. Anything else that should be replaced in the glow plug arena?

Air Filter? K&N replacement? Will that be a worthwhile investment? Improve mileage?

Van will pull around 3500# so I want to make it reliable. Does anyone know what kind of mpg I can expect. It's a route business with a mix of stop and go and cruising driving.

Brakes? Need some advice on a long-lasting pad. Don't want to go doing brake jobs every 15k.

Shocks? Suggestions? We carry a heavy load.

AC vents? Doesn't come out center vents strongly. Suggestions on repair?

Any other comments will be greatly appreciated?

Lastly! Tires? Want max mpg, winter traction not a MAJOR concern.

Thanks!

Sal

Quote Originally Posted by GMDiesel
    The SS? Coloer at least has the fins. I was thinking of an sscooler with an electric fan remotely mounted with a Kennedy harness. Where to mount it on a van?
    First off, if the PMD is working, the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix."

But preventative measures and being prepared are also note worthy!

The 6.5TD Vans are a bit different from the trucks... You'll probably have to use your best judgement on where to mount the cooler, I'd recommend a Beta "FSD Cooler" (black sync green letters) and the extension harness with a New PMD. Pick a spot on the van that get's airflow that's not through the radiator.

And can I leave the old FSD on the pump and just get another? How much are they and where is a good supplier?
    Get another New PMD, this allows you to use your factory driver till it dies, then use your purchased one.

I believe DSG has a stainless braided oil line kit with a new cooler for around $235, anyone have any experience with this?
    The DSG kit isn't designed for Vans, only Trucks/Subs/Blazers/Tahoe, etc., you would do best to make your own lines. The steel braided lines are top notch though.

Glow plugs and relays? I see a quick start plug on ebay and was wondering if this is the way to go? I don't know if the van has dual batteries which this seller says is required. Anything else that should be replaced in the glow plug arena?
    How does it start now? Be carefull with Quickheat glowplugs especially off ebay where there will be no "support" for the product after the sale. The factory AC60's ain't bad, but don't start real great in really cold climate.

Air Filter? K&N replacement? Will that be a worthwhile investment? Improve mileage?
    Some here really like the K&N filters, they do offer more airflow, but at the sacrafice of air filtration, which is mainly seen in severely dusty areas (where I live). The foam air filters (unifoam for example) offer great air flow and superior dirt filtration. Is it worth it? Probably not, as compared to other upgrades (exhaust).

Van will pull around 3500# so I want to make it reliable. Does anyone know what kind of mpg I can expect. It's a route business with a mix of stop and go and cruising driving.
    Van should pull that no problem, your fuel economy will depend on how you drive.

AC vents? Doesn't come out center vents strongly. Suggestions on repair?
    Lastly, it's good to have some 6.5TD van owners here on the page. But, due to the fewer numbers of them produced, and that are in the hands of private owners (verses fleet) a little more information can be obtained in the factory manuals. Helm still has manuals for these vehicles, they're just like the factoy manuals. Try ebay, I see express van manuals on there frequently in sets of 3 books usually, should cover things like this.

I think there is a cabin filter, this could be the cause of low flow.

Enjoy the ride!

J
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.5TD, mods too extensive to list. (13.69 1/4 mile @94.6 MPH) RACE TRUCK
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.2NA, 2.73 700
    1986 C10 SCLWB 6.2TD 3.73 700
    1989 V20 SUB 6.2NA, 3.73 400
    1994 G20 VAN 6.5NA, 3.42 60E
    1994 K20LD ECSWB 6.5TD, 3.42 80E
    1995 K20 SUB 6.5TD, Wrecked, ran into by stupid teen.
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 12' Flatbed 5.13 80E
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 18' Rollback Wrecker 4.63 80E
    1994 C20HD ECLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E Wifes Truck.
    1995 C20LD ECSWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1995 K20LD SCLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1996 K30 DRW 6.5TD 4.10 80E
    1997 C10 Tahoe 2Door 2WD 5.7L to 6.5 Conversion Underway