Thread: Vacuum pump

Default Vacuum pump

Just an fyi
    Well I took a quick trip over to Auburn Ca. today to pick up a vw van for a buddy of mine. I didn't pay attention to the gauges at first when hit the mountains outside Reno but something just didn't feel right. I was making about 6 psi when I'm usually pushing 10-11 with a Kennedy boost fooler. I picked up the van and headed back over the mountain. Still only 6psi high EGT's (about 1000 post turbo) running about 50mph. Well needless to say I got home and started tearing into the vacuum system. I put a vacuum gauge on the hose at the wastegate and got about 3 hg in. Luckily I purchased a new vacuum pump several months back so i was ready to swap it in, I had to pick up a power steering pulley puller/installer to move the old pulley. Went ahead and replaced the serpentine belt while I was there. Fired it up and voila plenty of vacuum and turbo. So I guess my vacuum pump was dying a slow death.. I guess I thought that when it went it would be all or nothing.
    Phil
    2007 Metallic Blue GMC Crew Cab 2500HD LBZ Allison. 70K mi, 255/85r16 tires.

1996 GMC 2Dr 4wd Yukon 190k mi, 3.42 rear end, 265/75r16 tires, 4l80e, 97 cooling mod, D-max fan blade, Hayden Severe duty fan clutch, Autometer Boost EGT Tranny temp, JK's 3.5 exhaust.

Reno NV.

Glad to hear all is well
    Mine acted strange after I rebuilt the engine and the vacuum gauge was swinging wildly from 10-15 Inches and the turbo wont work with that.
    The pumps can do all sorts of stuff.
    Having a vacuum gauge in the dash would not be a bad idea for sure, at least you know if its working.
    Unfortunately the ECM is not set up to tell you if the pump is not working.
    Seems to me that they certainly could have put a sensor on that circuit.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Good job! I put a pump on mine this week also! And replaced the rusty dual exhaust system with a Ceramic heat shield painted Flowmaster cross and downpipe adapted to a 4inch dBux take off system that took much fabbing to fit. And replaced the stock trans and oil coolers with H7B's and new hoses. I fabed a bypass oil filter over my 2 quart remote, switched out the trans filter and the rear end fluid to synthetic. I was going to cut in a pre fuel pump filter and extra lift pump but couldn't figure a slick way to ever change the filter without loosing significant amounts of fuel - I was going to the hardware store to get a 3/8 ball valve to cut into the line first - but I quit to start drinking instead. Once or twice a year intimate relations with my truck is a lot of work!
    Kind Regards
    Rick
    95K3500.Ext.Cab 4L80E 200,000 + miles; 3 gauge pillar pod pre turbo temp- boost- trans temp. 97 Cooling mods Fan / fan clutch, dual Tstat and water pump, Hi Pop Injectors, fast heat glow plugs, DSG gears, intake snorkel removed, air box mods, hi idle mod, dMax pipes for exhaust, FSD mounted on intake, Monroe Shocks. Homemade cooler lines, H7B coolers replace stock trans and oil devices, remote mount with 2 quart Wix filter aux micron filter, OPS relay and headlight boosters, glow plug extender, and an FPPF cocktail in every tank.