Thread: Weird problem with fuel.

Unhappy Weird problem with fuel.

This is a strange one. I am considering buying this 1995 6.5TD truck, but I am having trouble diagnosing a problem. It starts and runs fine for about 200 miles, then it starts to smoke profusely. Get out, pop the hood, and open the bleed vent on top of the fuel filter to let a bunch of air out, then the smoke goes away and is fine again for 200 miles or so. The lift pump was replaced, and it is working due to fuel coming out of the filter bleed. Will air in the filter cause the smoking? Any ideas on the cause? Please help. Thank you. Adam
    '98 GMC K1500 4X4 extracab 3.42 gears SSdieselsupply heatsink/ FSD, JK 3.5" exhaust w/Allied "Quiet" muffler. JK Boost controller. ISSPRO pyrometer and boost gauges. '79 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz w/ 5.7L "Mr. Goodwrench" Diesel. All stock except: Racor fuel filter/separator and Delco #60G glow plugs (ground-down to make them fit). '83 Suburban with 6.2L Diesel and "Greasecar" fuel kit. '91 Mercedes 350SD with 3.5L 6 cyl turbodiesel (wife's car--best car I have ever owned). HaHa-I-love-dem-all!

Sounds like you have an air leak between the tank and the pump.
    Check this out.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    This is a strange one. I am considering buying this 1995 6.5TD truck, but I am having trouble diagnosing a problem. It starts and runs fine for about 200 miles, then it starts to smoke profusely. Get out, pop the hood, and open the bleed vent on top of the fuel filter to let a bunch of air out, then the smoke goes away and is fine again for 200 miles or so. The lift pump was replaced, and it is working due to fuel coming out of the filter bleed. Will air in the filter cause the smoking? Any ideas on the cause? Please help. Thank you. Adam
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=23040
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.