Thread: Single Mass Flywheel for 6.2L/6.5L Diesel

Thumbs up Single Mass Flywheel for 6.2L/6.5L Diesel

I've been corresponding with a 6.2L diesel owner over a couple of weeks about the flywheel situation for the manual transmissions. Here is his most recent message, which I thought might help any others who may need these parts.
    Jim

Hello, Jim.
    Thought I would follow up with you on the solid mass flywheel on a 6.2 Diesel.
    I finally contacted a vendor who really knows his stuff. Knows about the GM service Bulletins on them etc.

I talked to Lou at Phoenix Friction in New Jersey. They have a kit for the job with flywheel, clutch, bearing and bolts for $500 including shipping. I will update you on how well it works when the job is finished. Blessings.

Al Peterson
    Web page: https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23224-04-163ck-solid-flywheel-conversion-clutch-kit-gm-65l-diesel-pickups-suvs-12-in.aspx

Good luck, I purchased a kit from them a few years ago for a customer, I had his motor here building it and took the flywheel along to have during the crank balancing process... the shop called and said their was a big problem, the flywheel was very very out of balance. I took it home and compared it to the one that came off the motor when I tore everything down... the holes drilled to balance it along with the large chunk cast in the wheel was in the wrong place by 90* .... they are china made and machined and somehow the crank bolt holes were miss located... Lucky I used paypal because they said nothing was wrong and it would be alright.. paypal ended up giving my money back after I sent in pics...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Good information!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Thumbs up Followup from Al - Oct 2, 2023

Followup from Al --

Hi, Jim.
    I realized that I never updated you on the flywheel replacement.

I had a local shop do the job for me since with my medical issues crawling under vehicles without a lift is no fun at all.

He also replace the rear main seal. It took a long time for him to get it done but I was not in huge rush. No issues just not a priority for him.

I got it back and took it for a drive. It seems to me to be smoother than it ever was before when releasing the clutch. It always seemed a bit grabby to me with the dual mass flywheel.

So,I would recommend this kit from Phoenix Friction. I think all in it cost me about $1400 Canadian.

Have a great weekend.

Al