Thread: 6.2/6.5 Cylinder Block Date Code

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Block Date

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Your block date code indicates GM's earlier code sequence (pre-2001), so a K137 would equate to August (K) 13, 1997. I don't think the letter "I" is used in the sequence because of a possible confusion with the number one. Regardless, the last digit in the 4-digit code indicates the year.

Jim
    Thanks for the info Jim, I got a little excited when I figured the block was a relatively new one. (wrong again). Am I right in thinking this year is in the range when there were some potential dramas with the cracks.

Are there any phisical indicators to tell if the block has oil squirters or do we know the blocks from years x to years y were fitted with oil squirters.

many thanks
    greg

All Blocks that were produced for the 97 production 6.5TD engines had squirters. (And later)

The early squirt blocks (97) were notorious for failures.
    These blocks used 12mm outer bolts all the way through and they had larger diameter oil passages for the squirters than later ones.

The issues were, the normal cracks in the center main outer bolt
    holes as well as a new twist. The main saddles would crack through the squirt holes and then proceed up into the lower part of the cylinders.

Once the crack hits the water jacket it was game over.

The 1997 506 Block (Good Wrench) that was in my DaHooooley did this very thing.

I would not touch one of these early 97 blocks on a bet.

For all the heart-ache I would either look for a good 599 or a 929 block or I would buy a new block from Cearwater cyl head and then move forward.

The 506 Blocks that were made by Navistar are supossed to be good ?????????

The new stuff by AMG/GEP are good iron but ya can't buy just a block.

The cost of a complete P4 or an optimiser is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to spendy $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY