Thread: White Smoke and Bad Shakes

Default White Smoke and Bad Shakes

I have a 94 Crew Cab long bed pickup. The mods I have done are:

Max-E-Tork chip w/Turbo Master
    3" exhaust
    EGT, Boost and Tranny temp gauges
    AFE Intake kit for 6.5 trucks-Pro Guard 7

I was comming home from a trip over labor day weekend towing the 23.5 ft travel trailer. Came up on congestion so I slowed down. When at around 1500 RPM the truck starts to shake. When I get around 2000-2200 RPM the shaking seems to go away. It shakes from idle to around 2200 RPMs. I noticed that I was puffing white smoke out of the exhaust and my low end power was gone. I also noticed that my MPG went down tremendously. Lastly there is a ticking sound coming from the truck. The sound seems to be coming from the underside of the truck but I'm not sure since I didn't want to run the truck any more than it need to run.

I have done some looking around the fourm but can't seem to find anything that matches the symptoms I have. There are postings about white smoke and postings about rough Idle but not the problem I have. I hope I didn't fry the motor. I will change out the fuel filter but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!!
    Ed Muranaka

Default More info

Any ideal on how many miles you may have on the injection pump? Have you read this http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Arrow

Possibilities, in no particular order:

Fuel filter plugged
    Bad tank of fuel
    Poor ground contact
    Fuel suction air leak
    Injector(s) stuck open or worn out
    Injection pump
    Head gasket*
    Cracked head*

*Is it using coolant?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Any luck?

This muat be something catching in SW WA. My '84 Crew Cab started exhibiting the same symptoms about a month ago but I haven't been able to check it out due to hectic schedule.

Have you found the culprit? My suspicion has been a broken intake valve spring, as I had much increased noise from the intake following the failure. You may not have noticed this due to the turbo which I am lacking.

I was thinking that piston speed at low rpms is too slow to blow the valve shut but at higher speeds it will blow shut and run more smoothly. Heavy throttle gets more white smoke due to still low compression. The ticking may be your valve tap dancing on the piston.

In any case, please post your findings so that others may benefit (myself included).

Thanks

Gregg
    Did they make a lot of these in '84??

'84 K30 CC DRW 6.2 4911 pump,6.5 injectors, SM 465, NP205, 4.10's. seats from a Y2K CC. ongoing removal of ugly parts. '93 6.5TD turbo system.

'84 K2500 6.2 to 454 back to 6.2, np a 833 O/D, 3.73 255/85R16
    As of 5-31-06 the 454 left my posession in exchange for a 6.2!! Install complete. 7/18/07 motor blown...where's that BB??

'84 c10 Sub

Default suspicion confirmed

I DID have a collapsed valve spring. Don't know what happened to yours, but mine had similar symptoms. I hope the valve stayed away from the piston enough to save it.

Best of luck!

Gregg
    Did they make a lot of these in '84??

'84 K30 CC DRW 6.2 4911 pump,6.5 injectors, SM 465, NP205, 4.10's. seats from a Y2K CC. ongoing removal of ugly parts. '93 6.5TD turbo system.

'84 K2500 6.2 to 454 back to 6.2, np a 833 O/D, 3.73 255/85R16
    As of 5-31-06 the 454 left my posession in exchange for a 6.2!! Install complete. 7/18/07 motor blown...where's that BB??

'84 c10 Sub