Thread: PMD cooler DIY, save money

Lightbulb

I am building my own cooler from a heatsink on a thor drive for a 10 DC electric motor, these sinks have a huge amount of surface area and are thick enough to drill and tap for mounting bolts plus they have thier own cooling fan! Cool! Anybody got a source for harness connectors so I can make my own extention cord?

MTTwister Guest

Smile

I believe Bill Heath sells the extension cords.

By the way - can you give any specifics on your heat sink - what where part# $$$?

Thanks

[ 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

Arrow

Try to locate a heat sink that has a milled surface large enough for the FSD. Most heat sinks are made from extruded aluminum, which are rarely flat enough to allow good heat conduction. Once milled, polish the milled area to provide the best heat transfer.

MP

Thumbs up

The heatsink I used was removed from a drive for a large electric motor, you should be able to find one of these at any scrap metal yard near a manufactoring facility, you will probably have to take apart a drive to get to it because they are usually buried pretty deep. The one I used was too big so I cut it down, it already had a nice shiny surface to mount the module and it had a 12vdc fan bolted to the end of it, what luck! I will have pictures soon.
    I got the new pmd temporarily installed today and after 50 miles no stalls, so far so good. After a week or so I plan to make it permanant. I got a good deal on a new pmd from Prodiesel in Nashville, $230. and it comes with a factory harness. I plan to cut the factory harness and splice in 5 or 6 feet for a remote mount. Hope this give you all some ideas