Thread: 1997 Express story -- from "no hot start" to no start?

Default 1997 Express story -- from "no hot start" to no start?

Hi all. Glad to be here. I've come here by way of just getting a 84 6.2 suburban and working on my friends 97 Express van with 6.5 TD. T

I searched some and read but still lack a few particulars. First part of story is this Van used to start on 4 cylinders then the others would kick in one at a time soon after. Is this a symptom of injectors leaking air back in the lines? Should they be replaced?

Then he started suffering "no hot start" problems. I put on an FSD cooler and new FSD. We mounted it off of the turbo intake . The kit he bought was for mounting on intake. I think we should move it out of engine bay altogether. I did not put heat paste on the silver triangles on FSD. Should i have? I'm thinking yes. The FSD first seemed to help. We got it started, idled it for a while. Turned it off and then back on. He said that was good.

Next day i came over he could not start it. I had to put my foot to floor to start. He said he used to not have to do that. I started it, drove it around the block. Came back, it would not start again. He is thinking the Ip may be gone.

Is there a way to test the IP or is it one of those "If everything else is ok, it must be the IP" deals? If there is metal in fuel tank, is that a sign? If i replace the IP, should i replace all injectors while i'm at it? I dont have a pop tester to test em . However, there is about 150,000 on van.

thanks in advance.

Check for any Diagnostic codes first. Thenyou can proceed with some direction.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by robyn
    Check for any Diagnostic codes first. Thenyou can proceed with some direction.

Robyn
    Thanks Robyn. Went over last sunday. one battery was dead. Replaced it. Van started.

Drove. Shut off. No start.
    Sprayed new FSD with water -- no start.
    Sprayed IP right around green tag and all over parts we could where injector lines come out of it. Guess what ? It started. Takes about 30 seconds to a minute with a spary bottle.

We drove to AZone to get codes read .
    Here they are:

P0251 -- IP cam system / (fuel metering is what scanner said)
    P0370 -- Timing Ref, high response
    P0183 -- Fuel Temp short circuit

Any help from here is greatly appreciated. Thanks. I've read where water test has meant IP replacement. This van has 124,000 . Doohhh! just missed the warranty. It is the green tag pump so it was probably replaced once already right?

thanks