Thread: trans leak

Default trans leak

When i park my 94 for several days it leaks trans fluid. I dont know when this began i never parked it for several days before Cant tell where its coming from havent taken the time to crawl under.Is there a check valve going bad or what. Any suggestions would be good.

Arrow

If it doesn't leak at any other time, it's probably torque converter drain-back, which causes the fluid level to rise above the vent. The cause of this is a sticky, dirty or weak (spring) check valve. This can often be cured with an ATF conditioner, such as Trans-Medic or Trans-X (cleans the valves/seats). You can also elevate the end of the vent tube to above the top of the bell housing (no kinks or dips in the line). The vent is a tubing nipple (may or may not be an elbow, about 3/16" dia.) on top of the tranny, about center/right.

If you have difficulty locating the leak origin, wash down the tranny with degreaser, then let it set until it begins to leak again. You should be able to follow the drip/trail to the source.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My best guess would be the dip stick seal.

When rigs sit, almost all of them will see some converter drain back.
    When this happens the fluid level raises in the pan and depending on the amount of drain back it can be substantial.

The dip stick seal if not in really good shape then allows fluid to seep out and driip off on the ground.

If the leak is on the RH side near what would be the rear of the engine/front of the tranny, good bet its the dip stick.

A couple other possible spots are the electrical plug unit on the LH side of the tranny and the selector shaft area.

Both of these are potential leak areas as well as the dipstick tube.

Normal fluid level is just right about the top of the pan rail, so any serious rise above that level can cause a weak seal to leak.

Crawl under and have a peek see.

Missy
    Last edited by Robyn; 09-14-2011 at 07:32.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY