Thread: Drive train oil levels

Default Drive train oil levels

I was reading on another forum a lot of the 2500 and 3500 trucks are comming out low on drivetrain oil. I checked mine today, only have a 1100 miles on a brand new 2007 2500 hd. The tranny was over 160 degrees and the oil was below the hash marks, I checked the rear end by sticking my little finger in all the way to the knuckels and I couldnt reach the oil.

I went straight to the dealer ( Bob Baker Chevrolet El Cajon Ca) the jackass I talked to told me the Tranny oil was fine below the run hot hash marks and if I put any more in it it would run out when I towed and the diferentials were different from most trucks and that I couldnt reach the oil level...... but they would fill it to what ever level I thoght was neccessary....

I know the owners manuel states the tranny oil must be in the run hot hash marks to be acceptable, but it doesnt say anything on the rear end. Can someone referance a service bullitien etc about the oil levels.

Thanks.

Ok, now that the red has cleared enough I can read.....

In the 2007 owners manual under "Rear Axle" page 525 the proper level for the 2500 hd with the 6.6 diesel engine.......... is
    .6 to .8 inches below the bottom of the filler plug

Transfer case page 526 at the bottom of the fill plug hole.

Four Wheel Drive units page 527
    Cold 0 to 3/8 inch below the filler plug.
    At operating temperature..... at the bottom of the filler plug hole.

While I am at it

Transmission, Duramax Diesel Supplement page 57 -60, Safe operating level is within the HOT RUN band on the dipstick

Page 58, to much or TO LITTLE Fluid can damage your transmission.

At 160 degrees I'd want trans fluid to just be maybe 1/16" above the bottom hot fill line, absolutely no more than 1/2 way, because if it's full to the top at 160, it will probably blow fluid out the vent when you tow something really heavy in 100 degree weather in stop & go traffic. Although I have never blown any fluid out on an Allison, I did out of an older 480LE. Sure messes up the underside of your truck.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.