Thread: 4x4 issues

Default 4x4 issues

Hey guys,
    here is a mistery one. Enlighten me if you can. My 4x4 is acting up and Im trying to figure it out. First the light in the cabin died (Ive checked the bulb, and its good). Mind you, it would engage into 4 wheel drive. Now it won't engage period. Even if you try 4Lo. Front shaft does lock in. Ive gone under the truck and could not turn it by hand.

Any ideas / suggestions / quick things to check before I go to the shop?

Its a 91 3/4 ton light duty.

Thank you

Marko

Sounds like your thermal actuator has gone south, without the actuator the front differential won't engage and turn the 4X4 light on.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

Are you saying that the axle disconnect IS engaging, but that no power is getting to the front wheels? If so I'd say it's either something broken inside the transfer case or stripped splines on the front driveshaft.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

ok hijack........

my 4x4 hasnt been working so just now I pull the therman acuator get some jumpers hook it to 12v and it extends just fine and i squez it and it pushes harder. ok that works. turn on the key(to run, glow plugs are cycling and everything) put it in 4h craul under and hook the dm to the plug and there is no voltage. the chiltons dosnt mention anyware in the thing about the 4x4 engagment system. is there a fuse someware im missing? im assuming there is a switch on the TC to tell the axel to lock? im at a loss here and would really like this to work so i can go hunting tomorrow.
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

There is a switch on the T case that feeds power to the Thermal actuator which once activated engages a switch on the front end that does several things.
    1- It turns on the light in the console
    2- It turns off part of the ABS system in some models
    3- Possibly other things too.
    Check the switch to make sure its working and if there is power to it.
    Let us know

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY