Thread: 6.2/6.5 Fluidampr?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've seen the "prototype" plastic mock-up version. Still some bugs to work out, but they're definitly making one.

J

If you check on their website under "Duramax" there has been a part number listed for the 6.5 as well - http://www.fluidampr.com/DURAMAX.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Arrow

According to the seemingly knowledgeable fellow I spoke with in LV, the 6.5 damper isn't quite ready for prime time, but is close.

I was interested in their findings that the performance crowd routinely sees elastomer OE type damper failures on competition engines. Seems the increased stresses exact a toll on OE dampers, but the Fluidamper is unaffected on those same engines. Is it worth the asking price for use on a daily driver?

Jim

Arrow FD Update

The 6.5L Fluidamper is now available. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I spent some time with the FD folks while at the SEMA show last fall. As a followup, I contacted them recently to learn how things were progressing.

In a phone conversation with Dan Oddy (lead design engineer for the 6.5L damper), I learned that the 6.5L damper was a unique design, and was not based on another of their product line. The external balance and other features are unique. While he didn’t go into too much detail, I was told that there are a series of equations that FD uses to define the mechanical properties of any fluid damper, and their FD damper used on the 6.5L is no exception. They measure factors like crankshaft weight & inertia and others to help solve the equation. Obviously, using a damper designed for another engine wouldn’t work, due to all of the various factors not matching.

Dan mentioned that he was well aware of the problem some owners have had regarding the 6.5L cast iron crankshaft, and he said their damper should reduce the breakage.

I was told that on a stock 6.5L application, we should be able to measure approximately 5% additional horsepower and torque – when using their fluid damper. This is so because the many and varied orders of harmonics present in a crankshaft during operation are more effectively dealt with in an FD damper, where a rubber isolated damper only helps control harmonics over a more narrow range. Harmonics can counter the force applied by a particular rod and piston while in operation. Reduce or eliminate those harmonics, and you get a small bump in hp/tq.

I was also told that Jamie Avant of The Diesel Depot in Georgia and John Ayre of Dyna Droit diesel are evaluating production samples.

Jim Bigley

I've heard both good and bad about the FD. John @ dyna droit swears that on his Dmax it idles smoother and helps quiet the engine down. I've never talked to anyone that actually has installed the FD on a 6.5 though.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldummy
    I've heard both good and bad about the FD. John @ dyna droit swears that on his Dmax it idles smoother and helps quiet the engine down. I've never talked to anyone that actually has installed the FD on a 6.5 though.
    I have a few quotes of people who have installed our damper for the 6.2L / 6.5L engine:

"After seeing/hearing about the broken cranks etc and seeing that my balancers rubber was coming apart, I bit the $450 US bullet and bought one. Some say not needed but after putting it on, I can say, YES, it needs it.
    First impressions, cranking over sounds different then when it catchs, the engine has a whole new sound to it, its more duller, less metallic and much smoother. My new exhaust would vibrate at idle, not anymore. Rev it up, again, soooooo much smoother and my engine mounts should be changed also so this is great.
    Driving, again, the smoothness is uncanny, my exhaust has shut down, the drone is gone by aprox 80%, its like driving a Cadillac and yes, the engine has a different tone.
    It seems to have a tad more power and this is after driving my Jimmy for a week or so, its also revs up alot faster.
    When I get 5 mins, I will look at the belts to see if the whip action is reduced, I don't have the adapter that GM put on to reduce that.
    So, all in all, I feel this should be one of the first mods we ever do."

"yes the damper imo is a true part to get with your rebuild or even later never to soon. i have these on 2 of my trucks now and will be ordering one for my newest member there is a true testimate to these."

"I just love the fluidampr on my 6.2. it made a major difference in noise and vibration."

With their permission if you want to PM me I can give you their email addresses if you would like to contact the them directly.

Jim, I will be emailing you some more technical information as soon as I can.

Thanks.
    Dan
    Dan Oddy
    Sales Engineer
    Fluidampr / Vibratech TVD

Dan, Thanks for posting.

Many of us here are enthusiasts, and we know the 6.5 needs help in certain areas. We're interested in solving problems, and we're especially interested in ideas or products that improve durability.

Jim

[QUOTE=More Power]
    [FONT=Verdana]I was told that on a stock 6.5L application, we should be able to measure approximately 5% additional horsepower and torque

Arrow

I didn't ask them to prove the power increase. However, I did look around on their web site, but didn't see any dyno charts... Lots of other interesting info though.

On a stock 160 rwhp 6.5, the stated benefit should be about 8 hp (give or take) if their claim is correct. It's likely several 6.5 owners (or other interested parties) will independently verify that claim. Trust but verify...

Jim

This little jewel may be a real plus for the 6.5/6.2 engines.

I am very certain that harmonics are the gremlin that is tearing these engines to bits under certain circumstances.

The variables that are present in production runs of these engines are what I think is the reason we see sporatic failures as opposed to a situation that can be repeated and varified over and over.

With the ability to damp out all these destructive forces the 6.5 could get some much needed help in the durability dept.

Now for the big ????????

Can their damper be used with a steel crank and of course do they provide a "ballance boss" that can be drilled slightly during the process of ballancing the engine?? The dynamics of a steel crank are going to be somewhat different than the Iron shaft.

Sounds like a very big step in the right direction.

I was recently chatting with the boys that do the work on my big Cat.
    We were discussing the possibilities of bumping the HP up a little and this necessitates the addition of a "fluid damper", different turbo and a reflash of the ECM.

Obviously Cat understands the merits of the fluid dampener concept in keeping the bad vibs in check.

Just may have to give these guys a call and pick their brains a bit.

Great thread.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY