Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6.2/6.5 Fluidampr?

Good Day!

"Did your mileage go back up when you stopped using it?" Nope. I haven't looked closely, but it appears a general downward trend simply continued right through when I used Performance Formula & after I ran out of it. (I'm suspecting worn timing chain causing retarded injection timing, & old injectors; I'll bump the timing a little when I get time, the injectors, well...)

Blessings!
    (signature in previous post)

Thanks for the informative input, Dan
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

One of my questions would be if the engine was balanced , would the FD be better than the OEM balancer ? The FD may be designed to handle more of an " out of balance engine " or one not held to smaller tolerances . If the balancing brings the rotating assembly back down to the operating limits of the stock balancer , do we need the FD ?

Question

Dumb Question. Why are there two dampers for a 6.5. What does the secondary damper do. If you replace the primary damper with a fluidamper do you just use a stock secondary damper.

Thanks,
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ercaduceus
    Dumb Question. Why are there two dampers for a 6.5. What does the secondary damper do. If you replace the primary damper with a fluidamper do you just use a stock secondary damper.

Thanks,
    Two different functions. If your truck has two dampers, the other is for the accessories, not rotating mass balancing. If you have the damper pulley, you should continue using it. It dampens the combustion pulses (from the accessory belt), extending belt and accessory life. A fluid damper should have little, if any, effect on the pulley damper.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks, when I replace my primary damper, I will get a stock secondary aw well.
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Good Day!

"The FD may be designed to handle more of an "out of balance engine" or one not held to smaller tolerances." Good point! One thing I noticed about RJ's engine (in his 95 Sub) is that is doesn't vibrate noticeably AT ALL at idle (or any other rpm, for that matter). This makes sense: RJ's engine is basically blueprinted & balanced, plus it has the cam gear drive setup (no timing chain), plus his injectors are probably relatively new too, so it oughta run smooth. Every 6.2/6.5 I've owned has been pretty rough. All of them make the outside mirrors vibrate noticeably when idling, the dash vibrates, etc. RJ's has NONE of that. So, I bet if I put a Fluidampr on one of my trucks, things would get smoother.

Interesting aside: When I replaced the timing chain on the Sub, it noticeably increased vibration at idle. I have no idea where the timing is, I just lined up the marks like they were before, & have noticed it doesn't rattle any more or less than before, so it's probably not more than a few degrees off where it was with the old chain (which was worn pretty badly, although I didn't measure the free play).

Blessings!

I think there is some confusion between balancing, which is a rotating mass issue, and harmonic dampening, which has to do with the internal harmonic vibrations that result from the power pulses. Balancing is independent of power pulses and can be accomplished without the use of a "balancer". Adding a balanced dampener to a balanced crank/rods/pistons will have no effect on balance (in a perfect world...), but makes a world of difference with respect to harmonics.

The Liberty Bell, with the correct harmonic dampener, would not be cracked. With a perfect dampener, you wouldn't be able to hear it ring...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Good Day!

Won't either poor balancing OR poor harmonic dampening cause vibration?

Thanks & Blessings!

I installed a fluid damper yesterday and there is a noticable change on the engine's idle. It is a lot smoother - which was what I was hoping for. I had replaced the harmonic balancer and pulley dampner two years ago (auto zone). The pulley dampner was dry rotted and probably would have failed soon. Cast into the pulley was made in Korea. Ended up back at the dealership for OEM pulley dampner and $240.00 less. The reliabilty of after market replacement parts does not hold up to OEM parts.
    95 Suburban 6.5 TD; AFE Air Filter/Box; DSG Idler Gears; Remote Mounted FSD; High Output Water Pump; Autometer Lunar Guages - Boost, Trans Temp, EGT; GM-8 Turbo; JK Lighting Upgrade, Fluidamper, Max-E-Tork Eprom, Turbo-Master, HD Lift Pump

I suspect there's one of these in my future, although I replaced the original with an OEM part 20K miles ago.

But my 6.5L TD ain't yer Daddy's engine, being a Peninsula Diesel (AMG) replacement with Phazer, non-wastegated TC, and Hi-Pop injectors - in a 16,000+ lb. motorhome. Replaced 12/06, the new engine has 11K miles on it, and I'm delighted with the performance.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Dan,
    I assume that the reluctor wheel is only for the electronic IP's? So in my case...an early model 6.2 with 1993 serpentine setup would still require the spacer? (Broken crank at 367K. In the process of installing an 18K miles longblock)

Thanks, Bill
    Bill Efland
    83 C10 6.2TD Short Bed
    befland@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by befland View Post
    Dan,
    I assume that the reluctor wheel is only for the electronic IP's? So in my case...an early model 6.2 with 1993 serpentine setup would still require the spacer? (Broken crank at 367K. In the process of installing an 18K miles longblock)

Thanks, Bill
    Hi Bill,

Yes you are correct, you would still need the spacer. Part number 800191 comes with the spacer for the older engines. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan Oddy
    Sales Engineer
    Fluidampr / Vibratech TVD

Here's an image clipped from a Fluidampr brochure I picked up at SEMA last fall. It doesn't have the graphs for the 6.5, but it does help illustrate the need for effective harmonic damping.

Jim

Arrow 6.2/6.5 Fluidampr pics

Here's the front view of the externally balanced 6.2/6.5 Fluidampr:

Here's the rear view:

An article (along with more pics) is in the works.

Question Where To Buy ??

I am trying to find where to buy one of these. Summit is out of stock, the other sites I have tried dont recognize the part #. PAW says they havent sold FluidDamper in quite some time. Did you buy direct ?? My 6.5 is parked till replaced. Pulley bad, damper will be changed at same time.

Thanks, Rick
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

Jegs lists one . Don't know if they have one in stock .

I bought mine at Summit - but had to wait 2 weeks.
    95 Suburban 6.5 TD; AFE Air Filter/Box; DSG Idler Gears; Remote Mounted FSD; High Output Water Pump; Autometer Lunar Guages - Boost, Trans Temp, EGT; GM-8 Turbo; JK Lighting Upgrade, Fluidamper, Max-E-Tork Eprom, Turbo-Master, HD Lift Pump

I am not sure what the problem is with Summit, there is no reason it should take 2 weeks to recieve that Fluidampr. We have plenty of them here on the shelf. Summit should be able to order this part & we can ship it to them the same day. You may want to try some of the diesel perfomance shops that are more likely to have Fluidampr product in stock. Summit/Jegs are finally starting to notice the demand for aftermarket diesel parts.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan Oddy
    Sales Engineer
    Fluidampr / Vibratech TVD

Arrow

Here's the new article on the FD!

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/fluidampr.htm

Jim