Thread: 2001 6.6 stalling out...

Default 2001 6.6 stalling out...

our 2001 silverado has recently taken to stalling out for no reason. It first left me at a shopping mall and wouldn't start. I put a new fuel filter on it and it started with some persuasion.

now it often hesitates to start, and sometimes stalls for no reason. If I prime the fuel filter it will start and be fine for a while.

I have put a full tank if fuel and more through it since the problem started and have a new filter ready to put pn if it is dirt or water in the fuel.

the engine light came on, stayed on for a day and then went off.

Has anyone had this problem? we are thinking it is from dirty fuel or water in the fuel.

someone else mentioned maybe a sensor.

any advice?

First of all, welcome aboard to TDP. You are in good company!

Your symptoms are not common among the LB7 Duramax owners here, and do sound like fuel system contamination problems. Replacing the fuel filter couldn't hurt - but since the problem has continued, I'd suggest retracing your steps to the last fuel fillup. Was it from a high volume station you frequent, or a transfer tank back at the ranch?

If your check engine light was illuminated, there are codes stored that can easily be retrieved by a dealership, or any general repair facility. That will likely be a key indicator of your issue.

Depending on the severity of the problem, I'd treat this tank with a healthy dose of diesel fuel additive, and probably swap out the filter again after two or three tankfuls if your symptoms get better. Obviously, you shouldn't refill at the same place the last tank came from...

Keep us updated on your progress!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Red face

Thanks! a friend pointed me towards this site and I think it is great! I have so many questions about my truck all the time, but the area I live in most dealers have never seen a truck as big as mine! It's great to see the expression on their face when I pull in with it. so most place can't help me at all and I pay 200$ just to walk through the door and walk out with a lot less money and no answers.

I am actually trying to hook up with a dealer that can check the codes for me from when the engine light was on.

We know where we got the tank of fuel and it was a high traffic gas station, but not a huge place that would sell a lot of diesel, and one that we have heard has a reputation for ocasionaly getting a dose of bad fuel, but we were on empty and had no choice but to go there.

either that or another place we went on our way back from a trip, but we can't figure out why it would take so long for the problem to appear if that was the case.

I picked up some Howes 3 in 1 diesel fuel conditioner and i was thinking of tossing that in with the enxt full tank, but someone warned me against some fuel conditioners with these truckas as they can cause problems.

IS there any truth to that?

I was also thinking of trying the bleed screw on the fuel filter to see if I had picked up some water.

eitehr that or putting a new fuel filter on and cutting the old one open to see if it had dirt inside, so that I could rule out those problems.

Now if I could only find someone to check the codes on the engine for me.

I think I am going to try the bleed screw tonight to see if I get any water out of it.

I'll let you know how it pans out.. thanks!
    2001 Chevy silverado 2500HD 4x4, crew cab,5-speed Allison, 6.6 Duramax

As long as the conditioner doesn't contain alcohol, you should be fine. 'Total Power', 'Standyne', and 'Lucas' brands are all well thought of around here. Personally, I'd try a double dose on this tank, then continue with the normal amount if things clear up. Your new filter should be fine unless it plugs again, in which case I'd go for the new one. Otherwise, 5K might be a good service interval for the current filter, and every 10K after that.

Watch for air bubbles at the bleeder screw as well, and a spongy feel to the primer. If you have a fuel line leak, you could be drawing air bubbles into the fuel. Do you live in a road salt rust condusive location? Might be about time for some of the 2001s to have rusted fuel lines like many of the older 6.5 diesels from the 90s experience often, including my #1 truck listed below a few weeks ago.

What makes your truck so big? And how did you get a 6-speed Allison in the 2001? I assume its a CC longbox, but is it lifted and on big tires? You can always post pictures here!
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Not sure what makes it so big, it just seems rather large compared to nay ones we see around here. I have never acutally seen a truck exactly like it in my area at all!

it rides very high, but there isn't any extra leaf springs or anything.

I took it in on the weekend to get the codes scanned and it is reading a misfire in number 2 cyclinder. THey figure the injectors need cleaned or changed. so it is in today getting a diagnosis to see what is up.

However I think it is time to sell, I got a print out today of all the repairs donet o it while the last guy owned it and I about died! it was over 3 pages long, that guy must have beat the hell outta this truck!

he had both lower ball joints and control arms changed at 46 thousand and again at 70 thousand, he had the gear shifter chagne three times!! in three years!!

and abotu everything else you could imagine. looks like he was in at least 3 accidents with this truck after the dealership promising it had never been in an accident!

I was so ticked! so I am marching into the dealership that promised me there had been no problems with the truck at all, and showing them then print out I have!!

hmm picture, lets see if I can master this...

here are some from Canada Day when we pulled a float with it..

Nice truck. I wouldn't worry about the truck being able to take hard use, they are built for it.

As for the honesty of the dealer, you may want to use all the information as leverage for a great trade-in value against a new '06!

thanks again, its going in tomorrow to get the injectors changed.

We are going to hold onto until spring and then sell it. we delt with the mechanice at the dealership we bought it from this time and he is a really nice guy, so hopefully next time we'll deal with him.

Depending on your miles on, it might be a good time to replace your glow plugs and thermostats, since there will likely be little/no extra cost for labor.

Also, have the tech carefully examine your waterpump for any signs of leakage. If you are over 150K, you might consider having it done as well. Mine went out two weeks after everything was apart for the injectors...ouch!