Thread: Rear End

Question

I have a 1995 6.5 TD 2 wheel drive and want to convert the rear end to a LSD / Posi system and wonder if anyone has any recommendations and where to start looking. I have the 3.73 14 Bolt 8 Lug. What I don't know is if its a

full float rear axle
    Semi float axle

thanks for any advice in advance.

[ 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: jrjong ]

john8662 Guest

I look at the axle pumpkin itself. Here is a page that has how to identify a Full-Floater or a Semi-Floater. Look under:

"GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT"

http://katy.tx4wd.org/tech/axle_id.htm

towards the bottom of the page.

Well that was easy enough... according to the pictures I have a Full Floating axle and 10.50 ring gear, know the 2nd part, any recommendations on where and what product I should look for...

If you want a limited slip (not locker), I've had the best results with Auburn. Check them out at: Auburn's web site

Detroit lockers are very good, but not very civil. Not the best option for in town driving. Eaton's Gov-Loc is more civil for city, but still a locker. They have a tendency to lock up in tight turns under power, and stay locked until you travel some distance straight. They are excellent for getting you out of a spot, but can be nerve-racking on icy/snowy curves.

ARB air lockers and Eaton's E-Locker are the best of both worlds. You have an open diff. full time, and a live axle at the flip of a switch. The ARB requires a compressed air source, while the E-Locker is electric. They do have more moving parts (more to go wrong), but are generally reliable. The E-Locker is relitively a new product, but I have not heard of any problems with them. Michael Tomac is running an E-Locker on his D/A. Considering what he has put his truck through (sub-12 quarters and Cummins killin' pulls), it seems to be a very durable product.

Another thing to consider....
    A limited slip requires more maintenance (frequent changes) and lube requirements are more strict, as well as the need for additives. They also have a shorter life.
    A locker, under normal situations, requires maintenance similar to an OEM open diff. and additives are not required. Under normal use, they can last as long as an open diff.

Cheers
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com