Thread: If you had to choose one,, LBZ or LMM ??

Default If you had to choose one,, LBZ or LMM ??

I am shopping for a new Dmax truck and faced with a tuff decision.
    I don't know how I will be affected with this New fuel, and Emissions laws that are coming into play.

I can still get an 07 LBZ Dmax truck around here, but I'm not sure if I should wait until the LMM Dmax arrives.

Can you guys help me along and tell me some of the benefits, or pitfalls in choosing either model diesel?

Thanks in advance
    Billy V
    93 EC Dually 6.5 Auto, 4.10, 4x4, Banks Stinger, Boost & Pyro Gauges. Cooling Mods w/ Kennedy Fan Clutch.

Arrow

LBZ, without a doubt. Way less smog equipment, and it won't be as picky about the fuel type. A lot less expense later on, with all the new smog equipment maintenance on the LMM. Not to mention the sticker shock!

Better hurry, though. Once dealer stock and the existing run is depleted, you can't get the LBZ.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Yes, I expect the GMT-900 LMM will be more money than a 'classic" LBZ. However, I think the 900 will retain a higher trade-in value on down the road, due to the new styling - perhaps enough to compensate for the possibly higher initial buy-in.

Jim

I was waiting for the new body style, but when I saw the changes that Bosch had made for the ECM tuning I knew that I needed to have a LBZ at my disposal for Custom Tuning. I guess I've held true to form with each of my Dmax purchases to date I have the second edition LB7 (2002) second edition LLY (2005) and second edition LBZ (2007) and will in all likelihood wait for the second edition LMM (2008) to be produced. Now I just have to convince Elaine that we need 3 er uh 4 trucks...

As a consumer, I think I'd want the LBZ as there's too much unknown and potential expense with the LMM. The new body style (GMC over Chev any day based on pics and the big chrome corners on the Chev) would be worth consideration also. I think Chev will need to give the "ugly sister" a facelift though if they want to sell them...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I am new around here and also new to the Duramax Diesel engine. I had GMC trucks for a while now but those were all gassers. However I had and have a few other Diesel cars and tractors under my belt. Well I went the other day to the Dealership and ordered myself a new GMC Crewcab with an LMM. I've been reading inside this forum for a lil while now. LBZ vs. LMM... here is what I think.
    I know there are some folks they don't like to see the DPF and so on. DPF have been in Europe for a long time. However I came across something else on the DPF on the LMM. Somehow one is supposed to clean and blow the ashes out of the DPF after a while of operation. Either 100.000 or 120.000 miles or so is stuck in my mind. I am thinking in order to clean the DPF, one has to be able to open that thing somehow. So if there is a maintenance door or the whole thing opens up, we should be able to clean the whole inside out. Leaving the 2 sensors (one before and after) alone. Since there is no resitance from the dirt in the filter and the sensor sense all the time free flow, I am hopin the computer doesn't trigger the cleaning cycle either.

My 2 cents canadian. DM

Default I just made my decision

Well, I've been a DMax owner since March '03. The '03 crew cab short box LB7 was my first diesel. I found this amazing site shortly thereafter. I spent plenty of time reading and re-reading all of the posts here. I quickly learned about all of the various performance options (and opted for the Edge Juice), tire options, suspension adjustments, recall issues, fuel filtration, fuel additives, lubricants, etc. I have had 140,000km of trouble-free fun! I added colour-keyed glass running boards, hard-folding tonneau, BFG 285/75R16 A/T tires, XM radio (through a PIE direct to radio bus adapter) etc, etc. The only issues I've had were:
    Intermediate steering shaft - replaced under warranty
    Tailgate cables - replaced under warranty
    ABS controller - replaced under warranty
    Alternator - recently replaced with a rebuild
    Tow/haul switch - broken wire in steering column (I replaced the wire and re-routed it)
    Gelled fuel - yeah I know, dumb me, first winter (have used FPPF Total Power since all year long)

I have been meticulous about the maintenance (Rotella T synth., etc.) and it seems to have paid off. I've never had any issues at all. The Check Engine light has never come on and I've never had the Allison go into limp mode (even with the Edge). I am so confident in the truck's performance and reliability that I went ahead an sold it to a friend and neighbour ..... something I don't normally do.

As for the replacement, it's an '07 LBZ with everything that I wanted. The inventory levels seem to be getting low on the Classics around here so I jumped on the one I wanted. Too many new things happening on the LMM for me this time 'round.

I should have it by the end of the month! I was going to get another Edge Juice for the new one but I've read about some issues with some of the newer ones and poor customer service. Looks like I'll have to do more reading!!

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences and making my decision an easy one!
    2007 2500 HD Classic cc/sb, Diablo Predator, 285/75R16 BFG AT/TA's, Advance cover, XM, Garmin GPS

Smile LBZ gets my vote

After seeing the new body style at auto show at UT-OU game. I wanted the new LMM. December 17, had head on collision and totaled my 04.5 lly. Went to dealer and found out lmm wasnt available till march?. Also was told new price was 5000-7000 dollars more and they werent going to have any price concessions. I purchased 07 lbz and paid exact same price i had paid for my 04. I took all my upgrades ie. dual bypass, mrbp exhaust, dual alts. deep allison pan, fumoto, bleeder valve, racor pre oem filter assy, and installed on new truck. Only items that wouldn't work were edge, predator, afe intake. I couldnt be happier. This is stronger, quieter, and love the 6 speed touch shift manual mode. Already purchased new predator, and have transgo jr. on its way. New lmm willl have particulate filter and i understand will inject fuel in the exhaust for it to work. With the lbz you have 6 years of refinement in the duramax and a lot of knowledgeable people to confer with. My 05 cents worth

I go back and forth on this one. But the back and forth is on the body and features, not the motor. I'll take the LBZ. Supposedly, and I mean "supposedly", the new '07 emissions after treatment equipment is designed to last for 150,000 miles. That is claimed by GM is some literature I read. But, as for motor, I'm glad I bought the '06 LBZ since it's not as picky on fuel type. LSD or ULSD doesn't matter. But dam do I wish I had the new turn by turn OnStar.
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?