Thread: ULSD and cold weather

Default ULSD and cold weather

Anyone else noticed any issues with the new fuel and cold temps?

Its been 0 at night here for the past few nights and the fuel is totally gelled up. The 6.2 is a no start. I ended up having to stick an electric heater in the engine compartment and then covered it with a heavy blanket. Took about 4 4 hours to warm up enough to get the fuel flowing. I added some cold weather additive to the tank and let it run for a while and no problems now.
    It so rarely gets below 20 here. A week ago it was in the 50s or 60s during the week and I didn't add anything when I filled up.

No problems the past couple winters. So just wondering if anyone else has noticed any issues with ULSD?
    6.2 NA, SM465, Dana 18, Saturn OD, Dana 60's all crammed into a 1970 Series IIa 88" Land Rover
    1998 K2500 Burb, relocated PSD, upgraded injectors, cold air intake.
    http://www.aloharovers.com

I have run about 400 gallons of ULSD in my trucks so far this winter and the average temp has been about -2*F. I have yet to have any problems and have not been using any adatives.
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Arrow

It's been below zero the last few nights and about 12-15 during the day. I started my truck yesterday afternoon without it being plugged in. Started fine... I use PS at 9oz per 26 gallons, which does contain an anti-gel additive.

However, all on-road #2 diesel fuel is supposed to be blended with #1 in varying ratios during the winter to lower its Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP). It could be you got some straight #2....

Jim

Thumbs down Gelled up at -18F

My truck gelled this morning about 1 block from home. I've been adding 8oz of FPPF Total Power at each fill since the ULSD hit the pumps. I got the truck going after placing a couple propane fishhouse heaters under it for a while. I'm not real impressed with this ULSD if it's going to gel this easy. I ran the truck at much colder temps in the past without any problems. At this point I'm just going to double the dose of FPPF until the really cold weather passes and keep my fingers crossed. I may also have to call the station where I filled last time!!!!
    '97 K1500 6.5L
    JK 3.5" Exh, L65, TD-Max Boost Controller, Gauges, Oilguard Bypass Oil Filter, Racor R45S Fuel Filter (pre-lift pump), JK Headlight Booster Kit, "Industrial Duty" oil cooler lines, High Idle Switch, AMSOIL Air Filter, 255/85/16's

-9 when I got up yesterday morning, no start again.
    6.2 NA, SM465, Dana 18, Saturn OD, Dana 60's all crammed into a 1970 Series IIa 88" Land Rover
    1998 K2500 Burb, relocated PSD, upgraded injectors, cold air intake.
    http://www.aloharovers.com

Quote Originally Posted by gvt
    My truck gelled this morning about 1 block from home. I've been adding 8oz of FPPF Total Power at each fill since the ULSD hit the pumps. I got the truck going after placing a couple propane fishhouse heaters under it for a while. I'm not real impressed with this ULSD if it's going to gel this easy. I ran the truck at much colder temps in the past without any problems. At this point I'm just going to double the dose of FPPF until the really cold weather passes and keep my fingers crossed. I may also have to call the station where I filled last time!!!!

I think your problem is from the 2% biodiesel in MN, not the ULSD.

Jay
    2023 Tahoe 3.0l diesel
    2013 Harley Switchback
    2021 Ram 2500 6.7l (sold)
    2018 Chevy Traverse (sold)
    2021 Silverado 3.0l LM2 (sold)
    2019 GMC Sierra 6.2l (sold)
    2019 Colorado ZR2(sold)
    2017 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2015 1500 CC High Country 6.2l (sold)
    2010 Chev 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2013 Chev 2500HD CC D/A (sold)
    2006 Chev 3500 CC D/A (sold)
    2005 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)

I would question other stuff then the ulsd I run many many miles/hours/days/weeks/years in temps well below zero with no adatives and have yet to have a problem
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Thumbs up Running fine now! (-14F)

When the fuel gelled the tank was about 2/3 full. I topped it off (where I usually buy fuel) and added some more FPPF. The fuel in the bowl now appears clear, when it gelled the fuel in the bowl appeared very cloudy. I did see two other diesel trucks standed on the side of the road this weekend!
    '97 K1500 6.5L
    JK 3.5" Exh, L65, TD-Max Boost Controller, Gauges, Oilguard Bypass Oil Filter, Racor R45S Fuel Filter (pre-lift pump), JK Headlight Booster Kit, "Industrial Duty" oil cooler lines, High Idle Switch, AMSOIL Air Filter, 255/85/16's

Arrow

The transition to ULSD is apparently creating a few issues with gelling in some markets as a result of incorrect winter blending. Here in Montana, we see 30/70 (30% #1 and 70% #2) during the late fall/early spring, and could see 50/50 during the coldest months. The coldest markets, like Fairbanks, AK can see straight #1 at times.

For what it's worth, I've never had a diesel gelling problem during any of the past 21 Montana winters. I've driven in temperatures as cold as -20F. Not fun... The pumps here are usually marked with the winter blend ratio. Aside from knowing what their blend is, buying fuel from higher volume stations helps to ensure you're getting the right blend for the moment. Buying fuel from a low volume fuel station could result in their fuel being months out of sync.

Jim

A few weeks ago, when it was sub-zero temps here...I went to the station where I always fill-up to top off the tank in the Jeep before a ski trip, the pump wouldn't even pump the fuel...froze! What was funny was the sign taped to the pump indicated the Diesel fuel was good to -40F... I add an entire small bottle of Power Service every time I fill-up and haven't had any trouble yet...***crosses fingers***

Chris
    1999 F-250 PowerStroke Crew Cab Short Box Lariat 4X4
    Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned By Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 4X4
    Stock for now...
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    The transition to ULSD is apparently creating a few issues with gelling in some markets as a result of incorrect winter blending. Here in Montana, we see 30/70 (30% #1 and 70% #2) during the late fall/early spring, and could see 50/50 during the coldest months. The coldest markets, like Fairbanks, AK can see straight #1 at times.

For what it's worth, I've never had a diesel gelling problem during any of the past 21 Montana winters.
    Jim
    I've had fuel gel twice in 12 years. The first time was around 5 years ago and I was running pump diesel when we had a sudden cold snap and I forgot to add any anti-gel additives. The second time was a couple of weeks ago, and I had a pump diesel/bio diesel blend of about B80. Temperature was only around 27 degrees, but it was enough for the bio to cloud up.

Part of my problem is that here in southern Missouri, we don't get blended fuel. It stays #2 all winter long. I guess it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the change.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I was at my jobber's a couple of weeks ago talking about this. He read a flyer to me that said the ULSD gels faster than the previous fuels. I'm treating mine with PS. It's only got down to 16 here so far.
    My Baby - 1990 GMC 1500 Ext Cab Sierra 4X4 6.2L TH 700R4 145,585 miles. Synthetic Shell Rotella T. Sony In-Dash Stereo /w DVD & XM Radio.
    Wife's Daily Driver - 85 Caddy /w 4100 V8 Gasser.
    Please don't make me own a gas burner again.

Default ULSD Clouds at +10

ULSD has a higher cloud temperature than LSD. The local Flying J where I buy all my fuel has had signs up since the switch to ULSD saying: "We recommend you add anti-gel additive to your diesel fuel purchase in extremly cold weather. The cloud point of untreated ULSD is +10F"
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

Cool No problems in Alaska

I've had no problem this past winter, no 1 ULSD. -40 and colder, my truck is always parked outside and no problems starting.

No additives, other then what comes from the pump.
    Hopefully things will get straighten out soon.

I do know that my mileage drops off, 2-3 MPG, due primarily to idling.
    I like my truck warm.
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD
    Duramax LBZ, 6-Speed Automatic 4X4
    Edge Juice w/Attitude, S&B Air Intake, MBRP Cool Duals (turbo back)