Thread: Predator setting for Towing

Unhappy Predator setting for Towing

I just returned from a 10 day holiday towing my 26' travel trailer. My fuel mileage sucked. I averaged 11 US MPG (13.6 imp.) I drove 2500 km and it cost me $800.00 for fuel!!!
    I routinely get 16 - 17 US mpg when not towing.
    I will admit that I am not easy on the throttle 90% of the trip was pulling the trailer and at speeds of about 115 kmh or 70 mph.The trailer would have weighed no more than #7000.
    My question is do I have to run the tuner in the tow mode while towing? Or can I run it in the standard mode? This would give me 25 more HP and more torque. There bye increasing my fuel economy.
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    -2010 CrewCab S/Box 4x4 Duramax/Allison
    Stock

Arrow

Your footfeed determines your mileage. 11 MPG sound very normal for 70 MPH with a heavy foot. A little more power and a little less foot could help you do better. Much better, perhaps. At 70 MPH, the weight becomes less of a factor. Wind drag is your enemy.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for your reply. I guess my main concern would be if there is any more danger of damage in running in the "standard mode" versus the "tow mode" setting on the predator? I always run the transmission in the Tow/Haul setting while towing.
    -2010 CrewCab S/Box 4x4 Duramax/Allison
    Stock

Arrow

There should be no danger with either, considering the weight you are towing. An EGT gage is recommended, though. Getting into high gear sooner helps MPG, as does not being in a hurry.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

11 mpg towing, is not that bad.
    Mine gets 13-14 mpg solo city/little hiway and 8 mpg towing a 13K 5th Wheel toy no matter what the conditions are.
    When towing I`m in towhaul and manual shift and pretty much go no higher that 5th gear.
    My opinion you don`t want to tow down the hiway below 1800 rpm or you can chance lugging which would be bad.
    I try to maintain 1800-2000rpms on the hiway towing in towhaul.
    On the tuner I would suggest tow mode that is what that setting is for,unless the standard is not a much higher setting.
    And have a egt gauge to monitor you temps,the egt gauge will tell you what setting will give you safe egt temps. Plus you`ll know to get out of it,to keep from to high egt`s.
    2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 BLACK SRW C.C. 4X4 LMM/Allison,long bed,Loaded,Westach EGT/Boost pass side, Edge Insight CTS EGT driverside, DIY stock airbox mod, aFe proguard 7 OEM airfilter. Back-up sensors + Back-up camera tied into the navagation screen, Redi Lift leveling kit, Cognito UCA's, Pitman Idler arm support, AMP Power steps, Firestone Air bags with controller in cab.

I just completed a 500 mile trip, Vancouver - Osoyoos - Kelowna - Vancouver and got 15.6 mpg (imp) (13.0 US mpg) towing a 10,000# 5'er. I never exceed 65mph except on downgrades, and do NOT push it on steep upgrades (e.g. Connector) .. stay around 55mph. I found that even 5mph will make a big difference on mileage and on 500 miles can save almost a 1/4 tank. So, slow down, enjoy the scenery, and save your money. BTW, I have my Hypertech set on lvl3.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT D/A LB7 4X4 XCab, SB
    Hypertech PP3, K&N Air Filter, Truxedo Bed Cover, Pendaliner, Hijacker Double Pivot 5W Hitch

My advice mirrors the others - slow down.

Also, if you add more fuel on an LB7, you should add more boost as well. This will help you burn the extra fuel present. Kennedy Diesel sells an adjustable boost valve that I have run for over 200K towing miles on an '01 and '02 K2500 trucks. I dialed it in to match a Predator tow tune with the first truck which had gauges.

When that truck was sold, I swapped it over the the 2002 and have enjoyed 12-13mpg while towing 6-8K average loads. These loads are mostly low profile flatbed steel, wood, etc. and don't have much wind resistance. When we tow boats, 10mpg is pretty typical.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K