Thread: Front drive shaft removal?

Default Front drive shaft removal?

The spline in the center is stripped in my front drive shaft. I can grab half in each hand and turn them. It won't compress enough to get the u joints out of the cradle or the rear flange off the transfer case. I pryed with a crowbar on the front but it only compresses about an 1/8". I would like to get it out without cutting it in half so I can make sure I get the correct replacement at a junk yard. Any ideas? No 4WD in the winter sucks!
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 1500 Z71 4X4 Extended Cab Short Box Pickup, 3.73 gears & FSD cooler 5W-40 Rotella - I rebuild Snowmobile shocks WWW.shock-service.com

Hi Dave,
    If you can concentrate on getting one of the U/J cups to move away from the yoke you can then pull the u/j spider out of the cup that is still in the yoke.

It may help if you try rotating the two shafts to different positions a couple of times in case you find a spot where the spline slides in a bit easier.

Also try a longer crowbar.

Good luck

Jim
    Biggar, Scotland

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

A slide hammer with a big enough hook on it. Then do like Michael Jackson and just beat it.
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. To bad I didn'y have more time yesterday when it was 40 degrees out. This morning it's 10 degress and droping fast.
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 1500 Z71 4X4 Extended Cab Short Box Pickup, 3.73 gears & FSD cooler 5W-40 Rotella - I rebuild Snowmobile shocks WWW.shock-service.com

Got the old one out the easy way in 60 seconds. SAWSALL!!! It was shot anyway. Must of had sheared off pieces of the spline inside keeping it from compressing. The replacement went right in.

So how the heck do you strip the splines out of a driveshaft? I would think you'd break something else first, like u-joint, cv joint, front diff, etc.

Lack of grease??
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, long bed. 5.9L Cummins, G56 6 speed manual, 4 x 4.

SOLD: 1996 GMC K2500 ex. cab 6.5 TD, auto, ditched K&N now WIX, aftermarket 3 1/2" exhaust & ISSPRO Pyro/boost/trans temp. 161K, Turbo Master, manual glow control, fast idle switch, Custom IAT gauge, reverse lights, Custom headache rack

1961 Chevy K20 LB stepside, 350 TBI, 4 speed, on board air, air seat, tons of other stuff...