I posted the following question in the dive train forum, but it isn't getting any answers. If you have an answer, please post it here, in the original thread. TIA...

I asked this question a few years back and didn't like the answer I got. It's reared its ugly head again, so I'll ask again.

First time around I asked about slop in the CV stub axle on the driver's side of my '95. I could move the outer end of the stub up and down about 1/8" and the seal was leaking profusely. I was told that play there was normal. (That's the part I didn't like). I crawled under the '99 at that time and that axle was rock solid. I kept adding oil and eventually sold the truck.

Well, today I noticed an oil stain on the ground under the '99. I crawled under there and the driver's side of the axle is dripping wet and the axle has about 1/8" up and down play. Don't tell me it's supposed to be that way!

Why are these things failing (for me, at least) and how difficult is it to fix? Can I do it without special GM tools?