Thread: Banks or AFE Cold Air Intake?

Default Banks or AFE Cold Air Intake?

Which is the most free flowing, it sounds like the AFE has the most Filtration but does that restrict flow? Banks Advertisements on the Ram Air looks good but I dont see much on the AFE stage 2. Can anyone help me out here?
    2006 Chevy 2500HD, 06/LLY, Air lift compressor, Firestone Air Bags, Prodigy brake controller, Super Glide adjusting hitch, 36' Sandpiper 5er 14k, Stanidyne additive

Default AFE for me?

I was just about to order the new AFE then I saw the new Banks in 4 wheeler magazine. Love for somebody to do a review of these. I'm inclined to the think the ram air piece for the Banks is a bit gimmicky but it got my attention.
    -KL
    2004 Silverado 2500: HD D/A LB7 4X4, SnugTop XV, Bilsteins, AEM Brute Force HD intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Hypertech
    1981 Airstream Excella 280 Turbo Diesel (Isuzu 6BD1T/Chevy P30) Motorhome
    2010 VW Golf TDI

Exclamation True Comparison

I agree, I'd like to see the same thing. I bought the AFE Stage 2, but still am not convinced I made the right choice...
    2002 Black GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison; EDGE Hot Juice, JK 4" Exhaust and Megafilter

I keep bouncing around on this too for my LBZ. I see Banks-SB-AEM-AFE and who knows!!

I have an AFE filter now in the stock system (which I keep hearing is not real bad) but would like a non oiled filter if I can. I seem to remember a thread on modifying the stock system, but was that for the LBZ?

I just want colder clean air in!!!

FB
    2006 GMC D/A C/C S/B, Snug Top Shell, Bed-slider
    33 inch Toyos, 17/8 Pro Comp Wheels, 4 in SS MBRP Exhaust-Turbo back, Evolution Tune, Mag-Hytec on Rear and Trans, Tranco Jr Shift Kit.

Why do you guys want to waste your money on intake kits???? It's 99.9% hipe...The '06 OEM intake kit is very hard to beat! Just get a good exhaust system and efilive tunes, that's all you need. My $.02

Just ordered an S&B system for my LB7. Keep reading that S&B makes filters for many outfits. Seen several articles featuring the S&B factory, all very complimentary, of course. Don't know if I went the right way, or not. Time will tell. I realize that you won't see payback for a long-long time, if ever, but I like knowing that I have as good a system in there as I can afford.
    I want to study how Banks routes the air up around there, over the fender liner from the front/grill area. Maybe I can do something similar without paying Banks a couple of hundred $.
    DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I also purchased the S&B. It was part of a package (Predator/4" exhaust/Intake). A while back, some one here posted an ISO 5011 test on a various intakes. The net results were the OEM paper filter filtered the best. Not the best air flow, but was the cleanest. A few months back, Diesel Power mag had an article on intakes and dyno results. All tested the same peak hp. S&B tests their filters with the ISO 5011 test against stock. For the LB7, they claim a 50% increase in flow and 99.3% efficiency (how well it blocks the dust). I did notice the LBZ application only showed a 20% increase over stock. The LBZ stock filter must be pretty good. I haven't seen any other manufacturer state ISO 5011 results on their filters. I was also worried about oiling. I talked to Berry Carter (S&B Pres) and he said they tried the synthetic oil free but it didn't flow and filter as good (stop the dirt) as the 8 ply oiled they were using. He said if he can find something better without oil he would switch. I'm happy. I get the cool turbo whistle. The S&B is not very expensive. And I'm comfortable my engine is not seeing the dirt that other filters pass to get high flow.

Jeff
    2002 D/A Crewcab shortbox 4x4,Victory Red, LT265 Cooper ST, Extreme alloys, Truxedo, 4" Flo-Pro turbo back, S&B intake, Predator

Hey Buck,
    The point you're raising is exactly why I'd like to see a comparison test. If the after market products and the OEM intake don't have substantial differences in performance then it is a waste of $$$. Show me the numbers. I was mostly interested in getting away from the oiled filters and I was looking at the new AEM (not AFE). I like their Dry Flow filter.
    -KL
    Last edited by silverback; 03-06-2007 at 19:47.
    2004 Silverado 2500: HD D/A LB7 4X4, SnugTop XV, Bilsteins, AEM Brute Force HD intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Hypertech
    1981 Airstream Excella 280 Turbo Diesel (Isuzu 6BD1T/Chevy P30) Motorhome
    2010 VW Golf TDI

Way back when, I put a Banks Stinger system in the old Burb. Got to worrying about filtration, due to all the doom and gloom I was reading about in the DP. So, I wrote to K&N with my concerns. Got a long letter back, telling me all the reasons I shouldn't be concerned, including the bit about all the military stuff being serviced by K&N, and running in the deserts of the World.
    I put on about 90,000 miles since then, with no sign of a problem. Serviced the filter twice. I think a good indication of lack of dust in the engine, is that during my early experience with the K&N, I found Castrol Syntech 15/40 oil. What's that got to do with anything? Well, I found that Syntech would give me about double the miles before I had to add a quart, compare to Rotella. Seems like, if I was getting more abbrasive through, to the internals, that I would have seen an increase in oil consumption in those 90K miles. Anyway, if I could still get Syntech (sp?) from Wally World, I'd still use it.
    FWIW, and best regards.
    DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I will buy your 06 intake.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!