Thread: Ignition switch initiation

Default Ignition switch initiation

I just swapped out the ignition switch in my Suburban to remedy the hackjob previously performed on it and found it to be a little challenging. The basic installation was quite easy but getting it adjusted was not! I had to leave the mounting bolts VERY loose to get it to adjust so that the starter portion would operate with the key (had to pull the assembly toward myself). I'm just hoping this post will help others with similar situations.

Also, if your switch quits activating the starter, you might check the adjustment before putting in a new switch. I think that may be what happened to the previous owner because they rigged up a hot wire to touch to the starter wire to run the starter. Probably couldn't get the switch adjusted and just gave up and went all redneck on it.

Hope this will help somebody

Gregg
    Did they make a lot of these in '84??

'84 K30 CC DRW 6.2 4911 pump,6.5 injectors, SM 465, NP205, 4.10's. seats from a Y2K CC. ongoing removal of ugly parts. '93 6.5TD turbo system.

'84 K2500 6.2 to 454 back to 6.2, np a 833 O/D, 3.73 255/85R16
    As of 5-31-06 the 454 left my posession in exchange for a 6.2!! Install complete. 7/18/07 motor blown...where's that BB??

'84 c10 Sub

My '82 is in need of this remedy.

It once stranded me until I figured out what the deal was. I replaced the starter thinking that it was that (had been dragging anyways) in the parking lot. Didn't work, so I jumped the solenoid terminal with a screw driver and started it from underneath by myself, away i went.

When I got home, I shut if off, turned the key and it worked fine.

The problem:

Tilt steering and a mis-adjusted switch I'm guessing. I shoulda tried difference positions on the tilt first, woulda saved me some trouble.

At least the starter got changed finally.

Glad to hear it's not a big deal, and that you got your truck "de-rednecked"

J