Thread: 6.5 Girdle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WOW does that fix the problem with those stupid nylon push pins who's Idea was that anyway? That is awesome machining.
    Can I buy those anywhere?
    America Love it or Leave!
    1999 Cheverolet K2500 Suburban 4X4 LT
    Hybrid Diesel/Vegetable Oil conversion by me
    In Memory of My Fallen FDNY Brothers
    Never forget Never Forgive

Arrow

The mods shown here were Andrew Ashwill's original ideas, as they pertain to the 6.5, and the full article was first published here in TDP in 2002. This electronic DS4 equipped 6.5 produced 226 horsepower and 426 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels - on a chassis dyno. He was also running a Peninsular non-wastegated turbocharger and his own custom-built charge air cooler. Everything was top-drawer....

As I recall, the rockers and related components were off-the-shelf components, but the shaft mounts on the heads needed to be machined to accept them. You'll also note the aluminum spacer that raises the valve cover a small amount to provide a little more cover clearance - for the rocker adjusters. A little tin-smithing could work too, to create blisters in the valve covers for more rocker adjuster clearance... if it could be done in an aesthetic way.

Jim

I cant take any more. That man's machine work is spectacular, he is an artist when it comes to machine work.

I hope he will do a girdle for me.
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

I am certainly interested in this.
    I hope anyone that gets more information on these will post it up for all to see. I am curious to know the cost of these things, if he can build more.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikaroka
    I am certainly interested in this.
    I hope anyone that gets more information on these will post it up for all to see. I am curious to know the cost of these things, if he can build more.

If I am contacted regarding the Girdle and there is information to share, I will.
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

I'm using 12.9 cap screws and have installed one set on Blazin when we replaced the engine.(see post, oil in coolant) in seems to be going well and we didn't do any modifcations to the pan. It is made of 3/4" steel. When doing a search for girdles on e-bay they all seemed to be alum., am I not getting something?
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.

These are pictures of the prototype girdles. They fit on an otherwise unmodified motor, including the pan. The final version still does, but is 3/4 inch thick instead of 5/8 inch. All five mains are covered. Unfortunately, we don't have pictures of the 3/4 inch version because it is 1000 miles into use on the truck, and pictures weren't a priority when the engine was prepared. It seems to work fine. Of course, it takes much longer than 1000 miles to test a girdle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.