Thread: Injector pop tester=$75.00

Default Injector pop tester=$75.00

Went to the hydraulic shop and bought everything I needed to build my own injector pop pressure tester and it works fantastic. No need to cut drill weld a 4 ton hydraulic jack when you can get a hand pump or grease gun which delivers easily 3000, to 10,000 psi depending on which pump you purchase, or have hanging around your garage. A liquid filled 5,000 psi guage will cost you 20 bucks with a 4 inch glass front. I brought one of the injectors with me and the gentleman made a 6 inch hose with the correct end fitting for the injectors and an end to thread into the "T". A normal flexible grease gun hose will handle 3,000 psi check yours out I was very suprised to find this fact out from the hydraulic shop, it should be written very clearly on the hose. You should also install a bleed off valve as after the injectors pop you will see there is still ALOT of pressure in the line. After using this contraption I put together with some help I found out it works Excellent. I will include some pics after my camera charges its dead battery.All the supplies at the shop plus the custom hose cost me $49.76, plus the cost of the hand pump i bought from them. My next trick is fabricating my own shims for the injectors, cus if they can do it so can we
    1988 C3500 2x4 extended cab 6.2 N/A TH400 Dually

GREAT idea! Something that would raise the cost a bit but make things a lot easier would be to get a replacement tester gauge from OTC. This will have the 2nd needle that remains at the "pop" point. I've been looking off and on for an injector tester on eBay for both work and personal use, and now I won't have to spend what they typically go for. Thanks for the idea!
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Fantastic idea! I can't wait to see the pics.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!

Just saw an injector tester go on eBay for somewhere north of $100 (stopped following it when it hit that point).
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Okay just got done setting one injector, to test it out I removed the shim inside the injector body, this resulted in a pop of approximately 700psi=too low. Put back in the shim washer and couldn't get the new nozzle and the old shim to pop at less than 2300psi=too high for the 6.2. By the way, for the 6.2 the minimum pop pressure is 1500 psi any less than that no good. For the 6.5 the minimum pop pressure is 1700psi. Those shims you see inside the injectors are made of stainless steel. I used a file to shave the shim and brought my pop pressure down to 1900 in about 10 minutes so it seems to me to be pretty easy to dial in what I'm looking for. I read somewhere you want the minimum pop to go at between 1500-1700psi so I'm going to shoot for 1700 and play with the injection pump timing. The 2 needle guage is a great idea I'm going to get one for this setup. Very happy with the contraption. My pics will be here in the morning hope you like em.(grease gun is all you need
    Last edited by Mikeandwendy74; 03-23-2007 at 21:44.

How hard is it to pump it up to pop the injector? I've got one I made from a bottle jack and have been thinking of doing something different. The part about the bottle jack I like is that I can clamp it in the vise and it isn't to hard to pump to pop the injector.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

thats exactly what I did to pump it up with the grease gun. First I took the endcap off, then cleaned it thoroughly, teflon taped all threads carefully, held it with the vise upside down. I can look down at the valve while the injector shoots directly away from me. leave the endcap off so you can see how much diesel you have in the tube, but all the pressure is in the head of the gun, it has nothing to do with the large main tube. The pump has to be pulled towards me to pump it up which makes it easier too. The key is to pump it quickly through the full range of the pump. Not 25 times like this pumppumppumppumppump.... just full range cranks will crank it up rather quickly to pop pressure.

Be really careful that your threads seal, and cautious of pinhole leaks in hoses, fittings, and the area into which the injector fires. 1700-2500 PSI is enough to inject fuel or other oils into your skin. It isn't too hard to find photos of injuries that have resulted from hydraulic leaks. You get almost immediate and un-repairable damage, blood poisoning sometimes resulting in amputation, and other great medical-stuff.

Sorry to be the fun governor, but I'd hate to hear about someone not being able to spin wrenches anymore.
    -Nate
    Vehicles Running: ... ummm... yeah...
    -06 Charger -06 F-150
    Vehicles Not Running: (AKA Projects!)
    -63 Series IIA Land Rover -73 XJ6 Jaguar -85 Cherokee -83 K10 6.2 Banks (Soon to move up a list)