Thread: Davco fuel pro, ( installed)

eracers999 Guest

I've had this Davco 382 fuel Processor laying around for somtime and i wanted to use it, took me that long to figure out where i wanted to mount it, once i did i called the Davco tech and here is what i learned from him. (i am very familiar with these davco set ups and am very impressed).
    The davco has several different elements available, they come in 2, 5, 7, 10 micron ratings, the filter that i am using will be the 7 micron. The davco is a large capacity filter set up and has the large see thru dome on it so you can see the filter. Set the fuel level at 2 in and go, as the filter becomes plugged the fuel level will rise, when the fuel level reaches the top, the fuel filter needs to be changed. At the bottom of the davco their is a nice fuel drain, actually a large capacity fuel water trap. Also at the bottom are ports for a liquid fuel heater that is thermostaticly controlled. The set up must be mounted before the lift pump, witch was why i called him. My main reasone for the davco was to eliminate the stock filter set up. I dont like where it is mounted, the fuel in my opinion is way too hot entering the pump.
    Why go thru all this?? Funny you should ask.
    The conversation went on and i was surprised at the level of knowlege the davco tech had on the 6.5 fuel system. He said the blackening of the filter element you are seeing is actually asphalt (it may have been a slightly different word) being filtered out of the fuel, he went on to say that this happens when the fuel gets really overheated and actually starts to break down. He said the 6.5 will actually loose a little bit of power because the asphalt taken out, and that any diesel will loose some power the more you heat the fuel. You guys can figure your own from this. I figure that really hot fuel is pretty hard on the DS4 IP . I figure that the viscosity of the fuel really breaks down under intence heat. No one can argue that the under hood temps on a 6.5 are intense. Cooler fuel will produce better power, how much in a 6.5 ?? who knows. He did say one more thing and that was he figure it would take me 2 to 3 years before i would have to change the filter. If i get a year ill be happy.
    Thanks for readin.
    Kent

Pretty interesting read, Kent.

I wonder what temperature is considered overheating?

I'm not so sure I believe the more power in cooler fuel theory. It doesn't get that hot. I have seen the blackening of the filter though.

I think a pump-mounted PMD would like the cooler fuel.

Are you removing the fuel filter housing completely?

Shouldn't you use smaller micron rating?
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

CareyWeber Guest

When I called Stanadyne about the 6.5's filter filter they said that it's a 5 micron element. I would not replace it with a more open element.

I added a Racor 445 with a 30 micro element before my lift pump, but I still have the stock filter too. One thing I have noted is my stock filter is much cleaner. I use to replace it every six months, but I am going to run this one for a year.

I want to add a sensor and a gauge to tell when to replace the filters they are getting to cost to much to replace when they don't need it. Racor has a vacuum sensor that will go in my 445 filter head, and I plan to install a pressure guage on to see if the factory filter is plugged.

Carey

eracers999 Guest

Billman;

From my truckin days it was common if you were running west coast with a fast truck you would gain manifold press and power by shutting down the artic fox fuel heaters, cooler fuel. I guess what im saying is that im being factual, i try to stay away from theory's. Wouldent you agree that the stock filter housing is mounted in a loction that couldent get much hotter than if you were to mount it like next to the turbo. The tech said that the asphalt was coming out of the fuel because it gets so hot, i couldent find any reasone to disagree with him. Yes i am going to remove the stock filter set up, it will no longer be needed. I have the seven in there now and as soon as i get to the store i will pickup a 2 micron for the cat engine spec. Good day!
    Kent

Carey:
    The filter cartriges are available down to 2 micron, Cat" specifies this filter. This filter set up is what is being used on most big trucks today, witch make the availability of them really good and cheap nationwide. The other great thing about this set up is that it's capacity is huge.
    Kent

I couldn't agree with you more about the location of the stock filter housing.

The model you're using is about 16" tall. Where are you mounting this?

Some of our new DDEC's are coming through with these filters...
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

eracers999 Guest

Billy;

Where to mount it was the hard part. It pained me greatly.
    I mounted this one on the pass side just behind the rear cab mount, run 1/2 pipe off of the davco with a brass ball valve to shut the fuel off coming in, down to 3/8 barbed. Run the fuel hosees thru 2 already in the frame holes. All of our trucks have this filter set up on them, i think there is 3,800 of them. Been servicing them for years and always wanted one.

Im kinda proud of that ball valve cause i always wanted a theft deterrent and now i have one. Valve closed and this thing isnt movin.

Kent

CareyWeber Guest

Originally posted by Kent:
    Carey:
    The filter cartriges are available down to 2 micron, Cat" specifies this filter. This filter set up is what is being used on most big trucks today, witch make the availability of them really good and cheap nationwide. The other great thing about this set up is that it's capacity is huge.
    Kent
    Kent,

I thought you said you were going to run a seven micron element. Two will be better than stock.

Carey

eracers999 Guest

Carey;

The 7 micron just happened to be what i wound up with, i learned about the other applications after speaking with the Davco tech. I am not uncomfotable with the 7 micron filter though. That is industry standard for cummins and detroit diesel i believe.

Kent