Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Im doing conversion on a 1995 Suburban. Donor car is 2001 Silverado. I have the book "Duramax 6600 Conversions&Repower Projects"

My Suburban does not have an HVAC like in the book, I took all the wiring out behind dashboard (I want to keep the old dashboard), that included all heater wiring as well. Do I just have to compare two car wiring diagrams and search for right wires to connect to heater plugs?
    I only left the wires, that came out from drivers door and went behind dashboard to passenger door. How did you get your power windows and central locking to work, I didn´t find anything from the book, how to connect them.

Margo, Estonia

Quote Originally Posted by Margo_325 View Post
    Im doing conversion on a 1995 Suburban. Donor car is 2001 Silverado. I have the book "Duramax 6600 Conversions&Repower Projects"

My Suburban does not have an HVAC like in the book, I took all the wiring out behind dashboard (I want to keep the old dashboard), that included all heater wiring as well. Do I just have to compare two car wiring diagrams and search for right wires to connect to heater plugs?
    I only left the wires, that came out from drivers door and went behind dashboard to passenger door. How did you get your power windows and central locking to work, I didn´t find anything from the book, how to connect them.

Margo, Estonia
    Your complete HVAC system & control panel should work just like mine does, meaning it'll operate as a standalone system. You'll just need to tap into DMax HVAC under-dash wiring for power/ground/AC clutch engage. I recommend using the Dmax HVAC power and lighting circuits so the correct the fuses are being used. The 88-94 diagram in the book can be used as a guide for your 95 system, but you will likely need the 95 wiring diagram to double-check it.

As was mentioned by THEFERMANATOR, the ECM will be looking for the Dmax HVAC controller. I didn't need to delete that function in the ECM using EFI-Live, but it wouldn't hurt.

If you want to maintain 4-wheel ABS, I would transfer the Dmax truck's ABS controller and related hardware to the Suburban.

And by the way, I consider the Dmax instrument panel essential for the best conversion (the gauges are right and you'll have the DIC).

Jim

I did put the Dmax instrument panel cluster in a Suburbans dashboard and fabricated a plastic cover around it. Also I did put a Dmax dip switch, that fitted almost perfectly. So for the HVAC I need just to connect 3 wires to make it work correctly (power, ground, A/C Clutch)? Unfortunately, I dont have Suburban wiring diagram, only the Silverados one.
    Last edited by Margo_325; 02-24-2009 at 05:43.

The pickup wiring diagrams should be virtually identical to the Suburbans.

The HVAC package under the dash should have its own wiring harness - that connects to the HVAC control panel and the vehicle's original under-dash harness.

I connected the original 1989 HVAC harness to the new Dmax harness connections for power/ground and Ac clutch engage. Works great.

Jim