Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I should have mentioned that during my conversion Jim's book was priceless!! I had no one else to discuss the conversion with since not too many had tried it at that time. I used his mount patterns with some minor mods(which I forwarded to JIM) for the 2WD since I didn't have the transfer case to contend with like he and Ferman did. Mine could sit lower in the frame.
    As I mentioned, I'd be glad to talk to anyone about the conversion-my contact info is in the other emails.
    Gordon Marks
    Tampa, FL (Valrico, FL actually)
    99 Suburban C2500 W/LB7
    55 Series 1 3600
    33 Chevy 4dr street Rod
    64 Biscayne 409 NSS
    "10.81@124.65"]10.81@124.65 3920lbs.
    gordon@marksair.com

Arrow

I've added several links to Duramax Diesel Power Project page, that discuss the rear disc brake conversion and include more details about the truck's interior. Also, we've begun offering professionally produced motor mounts that greatly simplify a conversion. See the mounts here. Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 03-19-2018 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    A new article is now available online about a 1998 Chevy K1500 LBZ...

https://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/1998LBZ.htm

Very nice!!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Very nice!!

Casey
    Blake is really nice guy. I hope we do get together at some point. I heard from him a few days ago, and he said he's still "living the dream".
    Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 02-10-2022 at 13:50.

Lightbulb 1984 Chevy C70 Duramax Conversion

I received this email this morning, asking about an '80s square body conversion. Thought the discussion might be of value here.

On 2021-04-15:
    > I am considering doing a Duramax/Allison swap in my 1984 chev c70
    > rollback it currently has a 427 5 speed,
    >
    > In has a cable driven speedometer I wondering what you have done to
    > correct that ?
    >
    > Also does the Allison have the required hardware internally to drive a
    > PTO , I know it has a cover plate but what about the internal gear
    > required to drive the PTO
    >
    > If I do proceed with this project I will be purchasing you guide. Do
    > you need to buy a wiring harness to make the conversion or does the
    > guide show you how to modify the existing harness.
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    >
    > Larry
    >
    >

Hi Larry,

I recommend you modify the dash of your 1984 truck to accept the new instrument panel. This will solve the speedometer problem and you'll gain a lot of functionality with the new powertrain. I also recommend you install the steering column that matches your engine package. This'll make it easier to shift the Allison, and it'll add a lot of functionality as well.

I know the early Allisons were setup to run a Power Take-Off, but I know the PTO was dropped a few years into production... before re-adding PTO in more recent models. So, to answer you, I don't know. I guess it sort of depends on model year, but I don't have a model year breakdown for the PTO.

For wiring harnesses, I recommend using the OE harness that matches/came with your engine package. New, these factory harnesses are about $600/ea (one for the engine and one for the Allison). One of the more expensive options is to acquire an aftermarket stripped-down harness that was designed for boats/RVs/basic conversions, but they require a specially programmed ECM/TCM and you'll lose most/all of the luxury features that came with GM's 2500/3500 trucks. Contact ppepower.com or bankspower.com for more info about their harnesses and ECM/TCM. Just remember that using an OE harness doesn't force you to use the extra features - you can pick and choose. The Conversion Guide we offer shows you how to install the OE harnesses, which is the least expensive option - no cost if it came with your engine/trans.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you spend some time with the following article that shows a 1987 Chevy C30 conversion...

https://www.thedieselpage.com/featur...Conversion.htm

Good luck,

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 05-17-2021 at 07:51. Reason: add stuff