Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

On 2021-04-27, mj m wrote:
    Good morning! I have a few questions about the Duramax Conversion Guide....

I wanted to know if there were instructions for how to modify dash components in a truck prior to 1995... I know that you did this in your 1989 truck but was curious if the instructions are included in the guide.... Second, does the Guide specify which intercooler to use.... and the last question, are the engine mounts still available for purchase?
    Hello,

Yes to all questions.

I recommend modifying your original dash to accept the instrument panel from the truck matching your engine package. I did not go that route, but many others have. It'll require fabricating a "surround" that blends your original dash into the new instrument panel. Generally, a custom automotive audio installation shop would have someone with the skills necessary to do a great job - sorta like fitting custom speakers into a vehicle that didn't have them.

That said, the Conversion Guide does show how I installed a complete new dash into my 1989 Chevy. It's a big job... If you go that route, I'd install the new truck's HVAC package and venting system along with the cross-cab aluminum underdash support. That way you'll be able to use the new truck's HVAC (heating, venting, air conditioning) dash control panel and the system's climate control... and it'll make for an easier installation. I also recommend using the new truck's steering column - for Allison shift function and electronics - plug n play. You'll just need to relocate the firewall mount bracket on the new steering column.

I used a Dodge diesel pickup intercooler, but others have used a Duramax intercooler... I used a Dodge part because that's what I had access to in 2003. The Guide shows how to modify the intercooler and how to install it. An intercooler is essential for a performance truck or one that will be used to tow heavy. For a light-duty easy driven truck, the intercooler is more optional. I know of some who didn't install an intercooler and their truck did just fine.

The motor mounts are still available.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 05-17-2021 at 07:53.