Thread: How to reduce transmission temperatures

Default How to reduce transmission temperatures

I recently installed a new crossover pipe (Walt's SS crossover). I wrapped it, and also wrapped the turbo and downpipe. It reduced my normal operating transmission temperatures by 20F!!!. I did run at 180F, now I run at 160F.

Great job!!!

What wrap did you use, I got some junk from advance auto that melted away in less than two days. How do you like that xover? Let us know how than tranny cooler helps, too!
    1994.5 Z71 6.5turbo 1500 Ext cab
    Auto, 192K, 33"BFG A/T
    Extended Cab SWB, 4x4, 40hp injectors
    SOLD AS OF 6/5/07

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0 {everyday rig}
    5 Speed, 2.5"lift w/ 32" BFG

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/p...0&ppuser=21521

Quote Originally Posted by robertb6963
    Great job!!!

What wrap did you use, I got some junk from advance auto that melted away in less than two days. How do you like that xover? Let us know how than tranny cooler helps, too!
    The crossover seems to be like any other aftermarket one. I had one from Bill Heath (which is made by Stans Headers), and it rusted out in a couple of years. SO i went with SS Diesel's one.

I used a Cool it Thermo Tec wrap kit from Jegs.com. The part number is 893-15002. This did not include wrap for the crossover, which I had a roll lying arould. It is white, like this part number at Jegs: 893-11002.

My kit was a little older. I got it from a member here, over a year ago.

I've thought about wrapping it for a while, but didn't want to wrap it until I had a stainles steel crossover underneath it.

I was not expecting any noticeable temp drop. I was quite surprised. I am considering wrapping the exhaust pipe next to the transmission to reduce the radiative heat. There is some extra left from the kit.

It is also in close vicinity of the oil pan, although the airflow is not in its direction. It may have had some effect on engine oil temps, but I don't have my sensor installed yet.

Nice job. It'd be nice to have the heat for winter warmup , but have the insulation for summer/towing. Next model...
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

That is good to know.
    I have some header wrap here and have been planning on putting it on my crossover pipe when I put the new one on. I thought it might help, but I didn't expect that much. Thanks!
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

I don't know just asking.....

If you wrap exhaust doesn't heads retain more "heat"?

I was talking to a guy with high underhood heat problems in a hot rod with headers (late 80's Z28). He rigged up exhaust fans to help evacuate hot underhood air when in stop and go traffic. I asked why not use some header wrap to reduce radiant heat. iirc ... His reply was then the heads or valve / cylinders/pistons would retain too much "heat". I never really understood that fully.

I have often wondered about the 4x4 oil filter placement crowded and tucked up under exhaust manifold and its absorbtion of radiant heat.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

If you keep the heat inside the pipes, it helps to increase the velocity of the hot gasses. I would think this would help to remove the heat from the heads quicker.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

Quote Originally Posted by robertb6963
    Great job!!!

... Let us know how than tranny cooler helps, too!
    Runs at 150 now. Very slow to get there.

Thumbs up Header wrap

I had wrapped my x-over some time ago to protect the oil lines to my bypass system. The hoses are shielded by AreoQuip fire sleeves too, as is the transmission lines where they pass real close to the exhaust.

Wrap should always start w/layered coats of high temp silicone on pipe then wrap once seal in hi-temp silicone, wrap again, seal again finish w/SS ties. Pipes generally rust real fast after wrap because moisture is held, but will not rust when done properly keeping moisture out.

Diesel exhaust holds up well to proper wrapping.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Quote Originally Posted by DA BIG ONE
    Pipes generally rust real fast after wrap because moisture is held, but will not rust when done properly keeping moisture out.
    Or use a high quallity stainless steel pipe below the wrap.