Thread: Anti-lock brake light

Default Anti-lock brake light

Hello,
    I was driving my 95 Chev, 4wd, xcab, p/u yesterday and I noticed the anti-lock brake light in the instument panel came on. Then the brake light next to it came on. Then the anti-lock brake light went out. Then the brake light went out. This happened about 6 times over the next 30 minutes. The brakes are working fine.
    Does these lights coming on set a code? Does anyone know what might cause these lights to do this? Truck has 218000 miles and the anti-lock brake system is original to the truck.
    Did a search here and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.

JimO

No one has had any problems with these lights coming on??

JimO

I'd bring it to Autozone and have any codes pulled. Momentary codes like that can be caused by something as simple as changes in voltage or a loose ground. Usually if it's a "soft" code it won't stay in memory unless caused by a "hard" code that hasn't been rectified.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Had codes checked today. Nothing stored. Mechanic said if he had to guess he would say it is one of the antilock sensors on the front hubs. He recommended checking front wheel bearings for looseness and if one is loose replace the wheel bearing/ hub assembly.

JimO

Check the connection to your brake sensor. i had a similar problem, had the tech check the wiring schematic, and he found a bad connection to the brake sensor.

Hope that helps.
    94 Silverado 6.5TD Crew Cab DRW
    7" Fabtech Lift / 33" Mud Terrains
    SSDiesel Cold Air Intake and Exhaust

Default Problem solved

After having checked ABS wheel sensors and wheel bearings and ABS module, we found that the ignition switch was the problem. The voltage going to the ABS module was not up to what it was suposed to be and as a result the warning lights for ABS and Brake would come on. Replaced the ignition switch 2 weeks ago and no more problem. The ignition switch was original to the truck.

Regards,
    JimO

Default ABS test

You can check for ABS codes with a paperclip just like you do for DTC. You jump different pins.
    chris maxwell
    transplanted to Georgia from the great northwest, and now back to the Evergreen State
    1995 GMC ext cab K2500 HD 4:10 gears, 4" exhaust, Kennedy Chip 162,000 miles, Gear Vendor Under Overdrive, rebuilt transmission with trans go shift kit, time for head gaskets....
    maxwell9@rocketmail.com