Thread: engine pull checklist

Default engine pull checklist

I know I have seen some one post a check list for what to disconnect before you start to pull the engine on one of these but I can not find the post.

Can anyone remember what it was under?
    86C 6.2l gmc
    "This to shall pass"
    "Life is to short for a Tim Horton Line up"

I don't recall seeing a checklist, but it's not too hard to make a new one.

1: Disconnect all cables from both batteries.
    2: Drain cooling system at radiator draincock, remove upper & lower radiator hoses, oil & tranny cooler lines, low coolant level sender wiring, and heater hoses. Secure all hoses to top of engine.
    3: Unbolt fan shroud and slide back toward engine.
    4: Remove plastic cover over radiator and lift radiator out.
    5: Take shroud off engine and remove fan.
    6: Mark location of hood hinges and remove hood.
    7: Disconnect fuel lines from lift pump, and fuel return line to tank.
    8: Unbolt starter (don't forget the front bracket), remove wires, and set aside.
    9: Reach up and disconnect wiring from coolant temp sender above starter.
    10: Unbolt exhaust pipes from manifolds.
    11: Remove clutch/flexplate dust cover (unbolt 2 braces from dust cover if 700R4), and unbolt brace from side of transfer case if present.
    12: Remove fuel filter to injector pump hose. (I like to remove the vacuum pump now, if present.) Disconnect ground strap from firewall at passenger side rear of engine.
    13: Disconnect wiring from alternator, AC compressor clutch, coolant temp sender, and oil pressure sender.
    14: Disconnect pink & green wires from injector pump, and any wiring going to TPS (if equipped.)
    15: Remove connector from glow controller, and wires from glow inhibit switch next to it.
    16: Remove wiring from EGR/EPR solenoids (if equipped.)
    17: Disconnect TV cable (700R4 only) from injector pump throttle lever and bracket at back of engine (do NOT forget this because your tranny will soon be toast if you yank on that cable.)
    18: Slide cherry picker in, hook chains up to lifting brackets at driver's side front and passenger's side rear of engine, and lift till chains have almost no slack.

I'm pretty sure that's everything, so you're now ready to either remove the tranny (and transfer case if 4x4) or support them so they can't move. Make the rear a little lower so the torque converter doesn't fall out. Turning with a screwdriver, flywheel turning tool, or 24mm deep socket on harmonic balancer bolt, remove 3 or 6 torque converter bolts. Remove 6 bellhousing bolts. Remove 2 engine mount nuts and bolts (tranny braces come out now, too.) Then your friend can slowly start lifting while you go from side to side with a prybar and check for anything you missed LOL
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.