Thread: Rear slip yoke replaced under warranty

Default Rear slip yoke replaced under warranty

Took delivery of the '06 K3500 flatbed last weekend. Truck is very clean and complete, drives out like you'd expect for a 24K mile truck.

This morning, I took it to the dealer for driveline fluid service - transmission, diffs, transfer case. Its my way of spending some money at my local dealer, and getting it logged on their computer as having periodic driveline maintenance done.

On the way, I heard/felt a faint clunk from the rear when hitting bumps like railroad tracks or similar. Mentioned it to the service tech, asked him to inspect shock mounts, sway bar, etc.

Turns out the rear slip yoke had failed in some fashion - they feel it was a manufacturer defect and are replacing it under warranty free of charge. I'll try to get the part and post a photo. The previous owner used the truck to haul hay out of the field and I suspect it was due to towing heavy loads over uneven surfaces.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I bet you're exactly right. I've seen my Brother and Law's field hand fully loaded with fuel and tools etc. hiting rice levies at about 20 mph and thinking nothing of it. That was one of the most beat up chevy truck beds I have ever seen, but the truck was still going when he sold it.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default rear slip yoke

Mark Rinker

i have a 01 2500 4/4 95000 on it. I have developed a klunking noise in the rear when i run accross uneven pavement . If i cross a speed bump strait on (both rear wheels at same time ) no noise--- cross speed bump at a angle with rear wheel -- noise I read your thread of 6-12-07 donit know what the rear slip yoke is?

redman1940

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by redman1940 View Post
    Mark Rinker

i have a 01 2500 4/4 95000 on it. I have developed a klunking noise in the rear when i run accross uneven pavement . If i cross a speed bump strait on (both rear wheels at same time ) no noise--- cross speed bump at a angle with rear wheel -- noise I read your thread of 6-12-07 donit know what the rear slip yoke is?

redman1940
    Look for your spring isolators. You should have one at each end of the lower spring. If you find an empty hole (or just a plastic plug in it), you found your noise.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The slip yoke is on the front of the driveshaft and mates to the transmission output shaft.

My '06 truck still makes a different and very audible clunk, and the spring isolators are in place on the bottom leaf spring.

The clunk is from the overloads (top springs, 3500 only) slapping against their frame stops. Have talked to a couple guys with 3500 series - some have the problem, some don't. Depends on the weight in the truck and what position the overloads are in.

Mine goes away when the gooseneck trailer is on, which is most of the time. I'll probably just live with it while plowing and when the sander is empty.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K