Thread: Transfer case jumping out of gear

Default Transfer case jumping out of gear

Started Tuesday rolled up to a light and when I let out the clutch, nothing. Transfer case had moved from 2 high to neutral. Happened several times today. What causes this and what does it take to repair/rebuild?

I guess I could use some bailin wire and tie the shifter to the seat frame.........
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Planetary bearings are shot (planetary wobble kicks the shift forks, causing it to bump into neutral). The others aren't far behind. A hardware kit (from your favorite tranny shop or GM) should take care of it. Order the plastic shift fork guides (AKA: buttons or shoes) from GM or tranny shop (a couple $), they don't come with the kit, and they will be shot as well. The hardware kit will have all the bearings, seals and gaskets needed. It's been about 6 years since I bought a hardware kit, and it was about $120 then.

I have a nearly new TC from a '95 1/2 ton, if you prefer to not rebuild (or want a spare). The truck is (was) a gasser, but the TC's (manual, not auto 4x4) are the same in the 1/2 tons. I've been parting out this truck for some time, and still have the powertrain. Was wanting to sell it complete, but it's been going a piece at a time. You aren't far from me, so getting it there shouldn't be a problem. If the spline count is the same, they should be compatible (truck is an auto tranny).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Question

Noticed today in light traffic and able to pay more attention, it only wants to jump out of 2 high when I hit 5th gear. 3rd and 4th don't effect the TC when shifting. TC resides behind an NV4500.

Any thoughts out there???????
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Mine jumped out of 2H and into N, while I was driving about 70mpg down the highway. The shifter still said it was in 2H and I couldn't get the truck to move any. After playing with it for a while, I got it into 4L, but then it was stuck there.

Mine had a broken range fork. I think it had been run low on oil and it wore off the little plastic pads. Then it was aluminum (pot metal) riding on steel, which probably didn't last long.

I rebuilt it myself, with no prior experience or even a manual. It was pretty simple. I think I had about $400 total in the rebuild. That included the parts that broke, all the bearings and seals, the pads, a new oil pump, chain, and the labor of having a machine shop press in the bearings for me. I was surprised at how easy it was. I've put about 20k miles on it since and it's doing fine.

Good luck!
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

Make sure you dont have a motor mount issue thats causing the linkage to pull it out of gear.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by robyn
    Make sure you dont have a motor mount issue thats causing the linkage to pull it out of gear.

Ahhh! That's another good tip.
    The linkage is adjustable.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

I was also told the spring in the detente can get week. But not this time...........Looks like a drain plug out the bottom of the case.

Have a rebuild kit on the way, be here tomarrow.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default And it goes on

Got the TC out on the ground today. Main input bearing was shot. Small retaining clip worn badly, bearing gone. Found lots of silicone in the oil intake filter and lots of metal filings too. Case is worn from bearing working around and where retainer clip rides. Need to put it back together to get to work next week. Thinking maybe new front half case and try a transmission shop to get retaining clip. Tried almost every parts store around here and no one has clips. No one pressure washes parts any more either. Sure miss the "good old days".

The first 283 I rebuilt I boiled it in a barrel with water and steam cleaner soap. Set the barrel up on bricks and built a fire under it.

-Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

That looks familiar... When mine went it took the planetary gearset with it.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldummy
    That looks familiar... When mine went it took the planetary gearset with it.
    Well I ended up driving it more than I wanted to after it started giving me trouble. But everything else looks good inside and I have compleat bearing and seal set to put it all back together on Sunday. I put 7 trips up to the City and back for work at 110 miles round trip. Had to tie the TC shifter to the seat frame with bailing wire to keep it in gear. Trans is next on wish list...............
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Its alive! Its alive!

Back up and running. Now to see for how long. Had to use the old small retaining clip on the input shaft, couldn't find one to save my life. And the sad thing is there is probably plenty of them in the transmission shop just down the street. Just closed on the weekends.

Before working on TC I was having intermittent problems with ABS at low speeds. Like rolling up to a stop behind traffic. Almost stopped and the ABS would release rear brakes. When I removed the speed sending unit it was covered with filings and was probably not reading the reluctor wheel on the output shaft. Tomorrow will tell........
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold