Thread: How to market to the performance diesel market?

Default How to market to the performance diesel market?

I would like to market some modest upgrades to owners of Duramax, Powerstroke, and Cummins light truck diesels as a diversification to my auto repair business. I am trying to find the appropriate place to advertise. Being in California, I do not have access to DMV records of the specific vehicle owners. I don't want to position myself as a hot-rodder shop, either, as I'm afraid it would scare away the little old ladies for whom I do vehicle maintenance. I am interested in tapping the trailer-towing crowd and perhaps the contractor types who like to go fast.

Any suggestions as to how I should reach the market with advertising?

Arrow

You just did!

Contact Jim at turbo@thedieselpage.com. He can help with marketing, product introduction and reviews.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Yes, we can help with a web presense, but there are other avenues (that I'm not involved with). For example, we have a couple members who don't advertise here or on the web (other than their own web site), but they do run ads in the mainstream magazines (way more expensive than web ads). If you have a more locally oriented service business, the best option could be to network locally. The Internet is a competitive market.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    Yes, we can help with a web presense, but there are other avenues (that I'm not involved with). For example, we have a couple members who don't advertise here or on the web (other than their own web site), but they do run ads in the mainstream magazines (way more expensive than web ads). If you have a more locally oriented service business, the best option could be to network locally. The Internet is a competitive market.

Jim
    Yes, Jim, I don't want to attempt to ship stuff around the country as there are lots of guys doing that already and moving lots of product at tight margins. I'm interested in local promotion for guys who would like to have their stuff installed by someone familiar with the motor, with towing, and who can give them intelligent feedback on what their options are plus stand behind both the parts and the labor. But I'm wondering what form of advertising venue might be appropriate. I'm on local cable TV, though I sometimes wonder with all the satellite dishes I see, does anyone subscribe to cable TV anymore? Radio is tough since here in Southern California, most folks listen to high powered stations out of Los Angeles, way to expensive and too wide of a sphere for my purposes. Local radio has a very small audience and is not very cost effective. I think I will start with some relatively inexpensive print advertising and see how it goes. Anything in business is a gamble, but after 23 years I am pretty much used to that.