Thread: K and N air intake problems

Question K and N air intake problems

I have a 2002 Duramax and I intstalled a K and N Fuel Injection Performance Kit Generation 2. immediately after installing the kit I recieved a P0101 code on my OBD which shows that I am having a Mass or Volume Circut Range Performance Problem. I took the K and N kit off and the code went away. Does anyone know why my truck is not accepting the air kit?

Sarch on the site. I remember someone else going thru this issue. IIRC, There is a fix for it, but it has something to do with how the filter restriction gauge is mounted.

My best advice would be to call K&N and tell them, I'm sure you are not the first to have this issue regardless.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

If over-oiled, any oiled gauze style filter can cause problems with the mass air sensor as it collects oil and dirt. Dirt? Yep - the stuff that passes through your 'high-flow' filter.

Ya don't get something for nothing. Personally, I use paper OEM filters in all my rigs, and change them frequently.

Oiled gauze is for gassers, IMHO.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Thumbs down

oiled gauze doesn't belong in anything with a MAF!!!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

another in a long list of KN victims. I've seen these in the trash.

To answer your question, the code comes from a comparator diagnostic mismatch. The stock vs the KN MAF placemen, or the changed geometry of the flow opening, requires MAF voltage rescaling. It could be made to work, but you would need EFILive to do it.

Is it a california emissions vehicle?
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Default If you want a good aftermarket air filter for your DMax...

Unique Metal Products. http://www.uniquemetalproducts.com/

They have been building air filter systems for off road racing for many years. They use a dry filter that is designed for industrial applications. The housing creates a centrifical affect which keeps the bigger particles of dirt off the filter. Having used them in the past, I can say that they are the best air filtration system that I have ever used. We have one of their systems on our off road racer and I will be installing one of their filters (probably the DMax version) into the DieselWag in the future.

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

nice pic.

when you do install one, watch IAT. This is the difference between an intake that works to improve, and one that is a waste of money. If your turbo could form an opinion, that is what it would say.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ
    Unique Metal Products. http://www.uniquemetalproducts.com/

They have been building air filter systems for off road racing for many years. They use a dry filter that is designed for industrial applications. The housing creates a centrifical affect which keeps the bigger particles of dirt off the filter. Having used them in the past, I can say that they are the best air filtration system that I have ever used. We have one of their systems on our off road racer and I will be installing one of their filters (probably the DMax version) into the DieselWag in the future.
    Centrifugal air intake systems have been around for decades, and add dirt catching efficiency to any type of filter element. I like the idea. There might be a slight performance hit, but I think most diesel owners would trade a little flow efficiency for cleaner intake air. Thanks for the post!

For those who are using an oiled filter element, let it sit on 3-4 layers of clean paper towel for 5-10 minutes after cleaning/re-oiling, to allow the excess oil be absorbed. This should prevent a MAF problem.

On the lighter side.... here's one fellow's method of cleaning a K&N.

Jim