Thread: Scan Tool for 1995 Chev 2500 4x4 6.5TD

Default Scan Tool for 1995 Chev 2500 4x4 6.5TD

This is probably a stupid question for some but I am new to this forum and would like to know what scan tool I need to read and diagnose/troubleshoot codes for my 1995 Chev Silverado 2500 with the 6.5 Caterpillar TD engine? Everything is stock on this engine. It has some major rework done on the top end (Heads rebuilt, injectors, glow plugs, gaskets, etc). Any help would be appreciated as well as suggested types and where to purchase. Thanks in advance. It's just that I'm really tired of getting bent over at the repair shop every time the service engine soon light comes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Cracker4351
    1995 Chev Silverado 2500 with the 6.5 Caterpillar TD engine? Everything is stock on this engine. It has some major rework done on the top end (Heads rebuilt, injectors, glow plugs, gaskets, etc). Any help would be appreciated as well as suggested types and where to purchase. Thanks in advance. It's just that I'm really tired of getting bent over at the repair shop every time the service engine soon light comes on!
    OK. I'll bite. Are you using Caterpillar as a generic term for Diesel or has someone stuffed a 3208 under your hood? If it does have a kitty I know why it's costing so much to be worked on.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Welcome to the 'Page, cracker..........

Check out ENGH Motors, one of our vendors, for GMTDScan, an OBD1 pcware scantool - has all the functions of the GM Tech2, runs on your laptop, less than 1/50th the price - also, download GMTDScan Basic for free - it's a read-only version, gives you an idea of what's happening in the engine bay.

Try it - you'll like it............

BTW - the 6.5 is Detroit Diesel offspring - but, it's ok to fantasize - my fantasies usually involve a blonde leaning into the engine bay............
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Default Code Scanners

It has a cover that goes over the top of the engine that says CAT on the side of it and Turbo Power on the top of it. The cover (plastic) goes over the manifold and fuel filter, basically covers everything except the valve covers. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that Cat supplied the engine for Chev. I don't have alot of experience with Diesels but I'm learning fast. I was told that Detroit made the engines? How would I tell definitively either way? Any help would be appreciated. My engine code is "F" which means it was manufactured by Chev/Pontiac of Canada from the info that I have. Doesn't sound like a Detroit to me.

F is the HD version, good choice - S is the EGR emissions version, no comment - designed co-venture by Chev-Detroit Diesel in the late '70's for the '80's lite-duty trucks, debuted in '82 as the 6.2\~135hp\~285ftlbs savior for GM CAFE - you now hold the keys to the supreme acme pinnacle wunnerfulness of 6.2 development, the 6.5TD - CAT on the disposable Turbo Power cover prolly is to remind the driver\owner it is catalyst-equipped - wrong again, tho - no cat, just a soot-trap lookalike - and there ya have it in a nutcase....er....nutshell.

Now, about that scantool................
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck