Thread: Gearing

Default Gearing

What rear gears would work best for towing heavy loads with a 6.2? My 89 suburban has 4.56, a 4L80E, and a 402 big block and 32" tires. It pulls ok, but looking for more.

Randy

What's a 402 Big Block?

And what is it doing in a suburban?

Anyways, a 6.2L doesn't like to rev when running empty, your ears and wallet won't really like it, so gear it realistically.

With a 4L80E overdrive, I vote for 4.10 gears.

How much weight are you dragging around?

With a 4L80E and 4.10 gears, you'd probably get 17 MPG as compared to single digitits of the BB.

J

Randy , I see you have a 4L80e . Would you care to let us know how the swap went ? I'm doing the same in a 86 CC and wondered how yours went . Thanks

The 4L80E is one I rebuilt using a Trans-Go shift kit, it is controled by a TCI transmission computer. It is programed with a laptop. Works well, I don,t know if TCI still makes it. There are other companies doing the same thing. Can't remember who right now. I will find out if you want to know.
    My suburban is a 1989 k1500, took out the 5.7 and put in the 402, 4L80E and transfer case, 1 ton army surplus axles that came with 4.56 gears. It does ok now, but would like to do a diesel. Would love to have a Dmax, but don't have time or money for that. I have a running 6.2 in another rust bucket. Also have a 5.9 cummins that needs put together. What I like about the 6.2 is it would be a easy bolt in.

A 402 is a 396 bored .030

I pull a 24 foot box trailer with a 2500lb race car and all the extras.

Randy

I'm trying to use the stand alone TCM from the 6.2 NA with my 4L80E . Working on getting my car running and back to the track as well . Ever run at Capital ?

Never been to Capital, going to cecil county this saturday.
    What years was the 4L80E used with the 6.2?

Randy

For your body style , the 91 2500 and 3500 did have the 4L80E . I've got a pile of parts from a 95 G van with a 6.5 Y engine which is the NA style with a TCM for the 4L80E . Should be able to get mine running soon , then on to the race car !