Quote Originally Posted by 86 CUCV View Post
Pretty sure changing CR will affect the frequency in some if not all critical vibration orders.
Most of the engines I worked with in my Navy career were good sized like 16 ton that's where a great deal of my diesel education comes from.
In relation to crankshaft torsional vibrations one of my favorite engines used a crankshaft torsional vibration absorber (Fairbanks Morse 38 ND 8-1/8 OP) engine.
The absorber insisted of a hub with plates and free floating pins of different diameters and weights. Great component. Better to absorb than dampen.
I know there is a similar unit for gassers called the Rattler.
Is one available for the 6.2/6.5 to your knowledge and what is your opinion on dampen vs absorb.
New here and seeing that your knowledge and ability to express it make you well worth following
Thank you
Thanks for your comments.

Generally, a damper recommendation depends on the owner.

For example, if the owner plans to own the same vehicle for some number of years, then I'd recommend the Fluidampr. It's a little pricey, but it does a better job of damping, and it never-ever wears out or deteriorates over time. Plus, you could sell the damper if you needed to, to recoup some of the cost.

Most owners are best served by using the original equipment GM/AMG damper, if a replacement becomes necessary. Avoid the cheap imports like the plague. A genuine piece will cost ~$100 and an import will cost about half that.

I don't know of any other aftermarket type dampers for these engines - a "Rattler", for example. Jim