Thread: The Edge and Calif Emissions

Default The Edge and Calif Emissions

I,ve had my SES light on for a while (years) with a glow plug relay problem and a known defective EGR valve. In Texas I'd planned to wait till colder weather. Well I had the relay replaced a few months ago and the EGR last week with the new water pump. THe light remained with numerious codes. The mech cleared the codes and unpluged the EDGE... no SES, EDGE and the light returned with multiple codes. I drove a few thousand miles this weekend and re-pluged the EDGE on the way home... the SES returned imeadately.

I don't know the model of the EDGE as I bought it from an individal. No settings to be changed, just the four plugs that plug into the wiring harness.

Is this something that can be upgraded. I DO have a CA emmission engine. Yes I live in Texas and the truck was delivered to my home in Mesquite but I had ordered the truck through the PX system while kicking some arse in the desert (APO CA address...duh). I even had to get the truck a Texas passport.

Anybody help?

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?

can only guess.

Using an edge that is not the LB7 model?
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

I have a 2002 California emissions truck also. I had the Edge box installed for several months a couple of years ago with a problem, I occasionally had a "no start" situation which would light the SES light. Are you having any instances where the truck does not start and you have to turn the key off and try again?

Also, what are the codes stored in the ECM?

The no start situation was not CA emissions dependent, just a defect in the Edge design. I believe they eventually solved the problem with a HW mod to the box.

(I ultimately did not like the fact that the engine would not start on occasions - to I tossed the Edge entirely - too many problems).
    '02 Chev 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 D/A

OC,

Of the several codes, the only one I can remember is Po380. Never had a problem with a no start.

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?

Killerbee,

It was made for the LB7. I think the CA emmisions are fooling something in there.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OC_DMAX
    (I ultimately did not like the fact that the engine would not start on occasions - to I tossed the Edge entirely - too many problems).
    ditto

Edge is a dinosaur concept. Too many electrical contacts/interupts/places to fail

EFILive all the way
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

P0380 is a glow plug fault. The ECM is commanding the glow plugs to come on or off and a voltage sense line is out of tolerance (per the manual). A lot of wires go through those two connectors on the edge box. My suspicion is that either the control line to the glow plug controller or the voltage sense line has a pushed pin or bent pin in one of those connectors. That would be a place to start looking.

OC,

Yea, I had a pushed pin once and it caused all kinds of problems. I'll go look for more.

I'm wondering if the box I have needs tweeking by EDGE?

Mike

I would try to determine the exact fault code that is stored in the ECM. That would give you a basis for talking with Edge.

A number of the updates were for stalling and not starting. So if you are not experiencing those problems, then not sure if an update would be beneficial. You may want to talk with the individuals that sell the Edge (or perhaps Edge themselves) to determine which firmware version you have and the differences between it and the current release. There is a sticker on the unit itself that identifies the firmware. Also, the box itself could just be experiencing a HW fault. That unit is exposed to some pretty large temperature extremes under the hood. That will eventually have its toll on the components.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MaxACL
    OC,

Of the several codes, the only one I can remember is Po380. Never had a problem with a no start.

Mike
    P0380 is a failed glow plug or intake heater. If you have a scanner that can read parameters (like Predator), read the GP voltage during a cold start, on a CA emmissions truck. The voltage will indicate how many plugs are bad. Also, you can pull the connectors at the back of the controller and check which plug is bad. There are two connectors, one for each bank, and each plug has its own wire connection in the connectors. I did a writeup a while back on this, and there's a pic in my "truck stuff pic's" of the controller and connectors. The CA models, while more complex than fed models, are much easier to diag. GP problems.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com