Thread: 2002 Duramax Losing Prime

Default 2002 Duramax Losing Prime

My 02' is losing prime after idling long periods or being parked for 2-3 days. I niticed when I use the primer pump there is diesel leaking below the primer pump onto the filter housing. Do you guys think that could be the source of the problem? Does anyone know if the filter assembly is covered in the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty? If not I may replace it myself to keep from getting raped by the dealership.

Well, if diesel is leaking out of the filter assembly, then air can get in no problem at all. Could be a pinched O-ring or a defective fuel filter assembly. I'd try a new filter first and see what that does and have a good look on to the old one. I would think that filter assembly should be covered, but not sure on that.
    07 Chevrolet Classic, CC, regular box, Duramax Diesel, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Superchips tuned.

There have been reports of cracks in the filter housing. Not sure, but I think it should be covered.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

You'll obviously have to get the leak fixed, but then I would definitely recommend some sort of lift pump.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks guys. My truck is at the stealership now. They are replacing the filter housing and I will have to pay the $100 deductable. I had the injecters replaced 2 months back and my fuel economy went to crap with the new injectors. I asked them if they would update the ECM while it was there. The service manager told me he hasn't seen a bulliten on that and didn't think it would help. Any clues?

Arrow

::::OUCH:::: ::::STEALERSHIP::::

I haven't heard of a stall condition for excessive idle times, but I have replaced a few filter heads for loosing prime after setting overnight. Customers usually have this issue when the vehicle is parked on an incline overnight. I can't believe how expensive they are. The last one I replaced was over $400 for just the part!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Thumbs up 98 cent O-ring

I have a 02 Duramax and have been having trouble with loosing fuel prime over the last several months. I didn't know what was causing the problem at first. It would start and run for about 10 seconds, die and not start at all. After researching the problem on the Internet, I found a thread that said check the black screw on the top of the primer pump bracket and the petcock on the bottom of the filter for leaks. After checking the black screw to see if it was tight I noticed fuel coming from the screw when I primed the pump. Not good. Not wanting to chance over tightening the plastic screw, I removed the screw (1/2 inch hex head) and found a small O-ring under the head of the screw not doing its job. I replaced the old O-ring with a slightly larger O-ring from the parts store (8mmx12mmx2mm).
    So far, So good.
    I know it's been a while, but I would like to thank everybody for their post. These forums work.