Thread: Check list for 6.2 with my mechanic.

Default Check list for 6.2 with my mechanic.

Greetings everyone,

I have purchased my truck, listed below, before reading a lot in the Forum. Little did I know it would be classified as a grocery getter based upon the engine and gear ratio set up.

I have started into the usual suspects when buying an old truck (mechanical and lubricating everything that moves) but this is my first diesel. I am taking a trip over to High View Motors (Diesel Page recommended) to spend the morning with Kevin Hailey, Service Manager, and ask every question I can think of about my motor. Bought the Haynes 6.2 diesel book, ordered the 6.2 trouble shooting from Diesel Page (shipped Monday thanks to Jim). I have been reading furiously, to the point of being in jeopardy of losing my job, and was wondering what systems I should ask about.

I plan on fuel filter changes, re-priming the fuel system, glow plug operation, where a lot of parts are.

Any Suggestions?
    1984 C1500 6.2L N/A "J", 60G's, Standyne FM100 Fuel Filter with manual priming pump, Dr. Lee Battery Terminal's, TH700R4, rear axle 3.08, MT28 Starter (12/07), custom 3" single exhaust w/ flow through muffler (04/08).
    "Here Daddy, wear this..."CLICK' and the rest is history.

If it sounds like a bag of ball peen hammers, I want it!

Default Got a lesson.

Had a great trip to Alta Vista and the Diesel Page recommendations for High View Motors was right on target. Kevin Hailey, Service Manager, greeted me with a smile and Jeff looked over the engine and reminisced about the repairs of days gone by. Turns out I need some motor mounts, thermostat, radiator cap, and eventually a new radiator. Both guys reaffirmed my belief that I got a great deal on this truck.

$500.00 truck, $1500 transmission, misc parts for $300.00.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!

1984 C1500 6.2L N/A "J", 60G's, Standyne FM100 Fuel Filter with manual priming pump, Dr. Lee Battery Terminal's, TH700R4, rear axle 3.08, MT28 Starter (12/07), custom 3" single exhaust w/ flow through muffler (04/08).

First off
    A BIG TDP Hello and welcome

One thing that is always a good thing to do is to upgrade the fuel filter to a Racor unit.
    They have a nice water bowl with a drain and will do a far better job of cleaning the fuel.
    The 230R2 Racor is a nice little unit that is easy to mount and will do head and shoulders above the stock one/s.

The usual stuff like glow plugs and things can be changed out before winter to make good and sure your set for cold weather.

Sounds like you are on top of things though.

Good to have you with us.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Thanks.

Robyn,

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be reading up on the Racor Unit. Glow plugs and system checks will be in order. I was told this truck isn't a great DD but I will upgrade slowly and deliberately to make it happen.

Default Fouled again.

The Racor Unit mentioned earlier in the post sounds great. I practiced on the Model 80 last weekend and it fired right up.

I felt up for a challenge last night so I pulled all the glow plugs. I have had hard starts so glow plug operation was questionable. In pulling them last night, two 9G's were broken off (no shiny metal so I am assuming they have incinerated, passed prior to my maintenance, or are causign major engine damage) and one more didn't register any amperage using the digital multimeter. Three bad, five good. Imagine what my reaction would have been in cooler weather...

AC Delco 60G's all around.

Should I pull the injectors and see if there's anything in the pre-combustion chamber or just "have at it"?

T.

Potato,
    To save time and effort, pull the injectors on the cylinders that you said the GlowPlugs were damaged. Easiest check. This will get you right into the combustion chamber. If the tips still exist, they will be in there. The flame holes on the 84 were pretty small for good fuel economy.

There is a copper gasket that needs to be used when you install the injectors. don't loose the ones you have. New ones would be better.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

A hearty thank you Hammerwerf for the immediate information!

I will read up on pulling the injectors on cylinders 3 and 6.

This am in 50 degree weather the glow plugs first cycle was 5 seconds. Does anyone know where the schematics are for the manual glow plug "Ford" fix? Lotta white smoke and the gear driven starter forced the issue.

Grasshopper is building confidence slowly and my diesel widow is simmering to a full blown riot.

A hearty thank you Hammerwerf for the immediate information!

I will read up on pulling the injectors on cylinders 3 and 6.

This am in 50 degree weather the glow plugs first cycle was 5 seconds. Does anyone know where the schematics are for the manual glow plug "Ford" fix? Lotta white smoke and the gear driven starter forced the issue.

Grasshopper is building confidence slowly and my diesel widow is simmering to a full blown riot.

Default Que Beach Boy's music

Potato,

Are you looking to convert the glow plug controls to manuel? or the starter controls to remote mount the solidnoid?

Spend more time with the wife and kids. Heck, invite them under the hood so they can see what you are doing. Then take them out someplace fun.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Default Jimmy Buffet's indecision.

Hammerwerf,

I am guessing the "Ford Fix" involves a whole lot more than I currently know about. I read somewhere in TDP about a $20 addition to the glow plug system that will allow the controller to work normally but give me the option to cycle the glow plugs longer with a momentary on push button. I took away from that article all I needed was a high amp rated momentary on push button with a tie into something on the glow plug system to activate the glow plugs longer. I can't find that article...

Family time:

I would like the wife to install the manual controls, leaving the stock controller intact, while the neighborhood kids to wash the truck. All the while, I sit in the "Laxy Bones" chair listening to some beach music.

Ahh...the fun we would have as a family.

Thanks again for the reply,

Potato.

Default Air and Standyne Model 80.

Here I go again. Air in the fuel lines has sidelined an otherwise fine machine. I am getting a vacuum in the fuel tank and fuel is leaking from the water drain line on my Standyne Model 80. I was attemtping to locate a place to purchase the rubber cups for the air and water caps to rebuild/replace pieces on the Model 80 and happened upon an authorized Standyne dealer in my neck of the woods. They were unable to locate the rubber cups but were happy to show me the new Fuel Master 100 Series from Standyne (great upsale) with optional upgrades. My dilemma, Robyn has already recommended the Racor Unit, Dr. Lee has one also. Both sound like exceptionally bright individuals (Brownie Points for honest answers) and I would hate to go against the grain but...keep looking for the replacement rubber? Authorized Standyne Dealer in my backyard? Racor Unit? My head is spinning with possibilities. I have little time and even less money to put towards this beast.

Great news-found a Leonard ALuminum Cap for the back in a neighboring town for $20.00. It's seen better days but is watertight.

Haus.