Thread: 12v Vacuum Pump

Cool 12v Vacuum Pump

Anyone know of a inexpensive 12v vacuum pump? All I need vacuum for is my HVAC controls and nothing else and would rather not have a mechanical vacuum pump when I do my conversion. Ideally the vacuum pump would have an automatic shutoff and start.

Thanks

Most Volkswagons and the Mercedes used a small vacuum pump to run the door locks and such and is more then enough for the HVAC controls. The VWs can be scored cheap (5bucks) from the scrap yard. Problem is is that there is no real good (all right... cheap) sources of a vacuum switch to shut it down when not needed. Used the VW one on my Buick conversion but got tired of the constant buzzing. The pump didn't seem to care but I don't know how long it would last running constantly. Finally gave up and installed the mechanical one back on. Much quieter now.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Default Try Boneyard VOLVO

Volvo 700/900 volvos have a real good and small vacuum pump, use a vacuum canister and pump will not run much............................
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Stainess Steel Brakes makes a pump kit that is universal. It comes with a relay and everything needed. You can get the pump with varying output rates. From 16" to 24" of vacuum. It's sold on their website, but you can get it cheaper out of JEG'S PN 884-28149. The SSBC PN 28146. I hope this helps.