Thread: Brakes

Cool Brakes

I recently had my 3500 inspected and the person said that the brake pad isn't contacting the entire rotor (there was a little rust around the edge of the rotor). He said that next year it may be bad enough that it will not past inspection. I asked him what the fix is and he stated that it is a known problem with the GMC's and I would have to replace the rotor and brakes. I only have 35,000 miles on the vehicle and towed very little with it. There is still a lot of meat on the brake pads and the truck stops just fine. Has any one else had this issue?

Thanks,
    GMC 3500 HD LT Pewter<BR>Owens Running Boards,<BR> Line-X bedliner, <BR>K&N air Filter,<BR>Zaino Bros Car Care, <BR>GM Bed Cover,<BR>Vinca-Shield Protectant,<BR>Vent Shades

Arrow

Hogwash!

If you use your brakes, and the rotor and pad are intact, it WILL make full contact. Rust on the rotor is not uncommon, and will go away with more frequent use. It doesn't take much. Is that inspector aware that some pad material will dust off, and appear to be "rust", just because of the color of the pad material. Some organics are real bad about this. Also, the pad is smaller than the rotor, and should not contact the WHOLE rotor surface. And....the pads are bevelled at the leading/trailing edges, which could give the appearance of partial contact, but completely normal with new/like new pads.

If your brake system is healthy, stops like it should and you have no surging, then it's OK.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

2500 hd and 3500 DRW trucks can easy get 80000 miles out of brakes ! My buddy just put rotors on his 2002 2500 hd truck , it has 110000 miles .... first brake job , it didnt need pads the rotors where worped and rusty. He only drives his truck every few day, he has work truck that he drives daily. My advice is dont go back to that place for anything , they just tried to sell you a 600.00 brake job that you didnt need.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!