Thread: Question for my Father-in-law

Default Question for my Father-in-law

Greetings all.
    I have been selected by my Father-in-law to locate a tuner/chip/programmer for his 2008 chevy 2500.
    I have 11 years experience working on Mustangs but fully admit I am clueless on Diesels.
    My Father-in-law is looking for something he can switch on the fly with numerous different settings. 1) Improved towing for his hunting camper. 2) Improved towing for his wife so she doesn't have to worry about touching anything. 3) Greatly improved gas mileage.
    He wants something powerful to do these things he asks. Easy to use. Easy to hide from dealerships. Is there such a "chip" etc. or what would be the closest to it. He will not be modifying any other put of the truck including exhaust. So there is my dilema. If anyone here can help my I would surely appreciate it.
    Cooper

Check out the performance section. I've read good things about Kennedy's custom tune and have had good service from his company in the past.
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock

I am not a fan of power adder that switch power levels , the allison needs to relearn how to handle the power after you change it. 9 out of 10 times the power gets added and no one lets the trans relearn and it slips into gear at each up shift . If you want to keep his truck heathy tell him to keep the power levels below 80 hp added and leave it there .

I have kennedy diesel custom 70 hp tow/perf tune in my lbz truck. everyone thats driven the truck cant tell its not stock until you hit the go peddle. about 2 mpg better economy empty or towing. I run with a stock ECM under the rear seat in the event it needs to see the doctor, I just swap them out... Transgo Jr kit helps the new 6 speed shift , it will not make it handle anymore power then stock. Give JK a call or email him , IMHO its the way to go . I had 2 othere trucks with Juice , I am not going back. At 70 hp that JK claims it has more power then juice on 3 and way more lowend TQ !
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Greetings all.
    I have been selected by my Father-in-law to locate a tuner/chip/programmer for his 2008 chevy 2500.
    I have 11 years experience working on Mustangs but fully admit I am clueless on Diesels.
    My Father-in-law is looking for something he can switch on the fly with numerous different settings. 1) Improved towing for his hunting camper. 2) Improved towing for his wife so she doesn't have to worry about touching anything. 3) Greatly improved gas mileage.
    He wants something powerful to do these things he asks. Easy to use. Easy to hide from dealerships. Is there such a "chip" etc. or what would be the closest to it. He will not be modifying any other put of the truck including exhaust. So there is my dilema. If anyone here can help my I would surely appreciate it.
    Cooper
    Honestly, the 2008 machine is standard equipped to serve all of the above needs, except for fuel mileage. Great mileage is not in the cards, with or without (other than a tuned ECM that may boost you 1 - 2 mpg, as Mark pointed out above). Just my $0.02 from experiences and opinion. Opinions will vary.

That machine has 365 HP, ample torque, ease of use with the tow / haul mode, and a 6-speed transmission with selection of gears, ALL right at a fingertip of control.

With all due respect, suggest Pappy-in-Law to read up on his new machine. It does it all.... already....