Thread: hesitation on Extreme

Default hesitation on Extreme

I have the Bully Dog, AFE intake and exhaust on my 07 Duramax and went out to the farm to do some work, it is pretty dusty and when I was returning home, I put the pedal to the metal on Performance and it went real well and fast. I put in on Extreme and it took off and kind of hesitated and surges forward like if it was getting better, etc. During that stage, the check engine light came on and rpm's would not go past 2,000 rpms so I cruised on home. I checked the AFE air filter and it had some bugs, etc but no dirt. Cleared the DCT codes on the Bully Dog monitor and restarted the truck and it is back to normal and did the testing again , it does it again on Extreme. Is the engine needing more air, like if the air filter may be a bit dirty? Would that cause the engine light to come on? If it runs well on Performance, and on Extreme, it would needs more air for more power/ fuel and if the filter is clogged???????
    Has anyone encountered this problem? Thanks
    Mark

Whats dtc code do you get?

It happens some time fore me also, whit crazy larry.

I get p0700, and p1621.

You can check the codes at: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/dtc.php?do=info&code

Utsi
    *Silverado 6.5 98; crom bumper, side step w/ markers, bedliner, ganster cap w/ markes,

* Duramax 6.6 03; crom bumper, Sidestep,ganster cap, rollerbar, bedliner. 5" exhaus, programer.

How many miles on the fuel filter? That's the first thing I'd check. You can check restriction with my gauge or just replace it.

there's also a distinct possibility that you need a good lift pump setup. That and a built transmission as playing in race mode on most any tuner (regardless how over rated they are )will tear up a stock Allison
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

The fuel filter life is at 53% and there are no DTC codes.
    I just right clicked on DTC clear codes and restarted truck and light went away.
    I had a chat with my tech that installed the Bully Dog, I used to have the 2.3.8 and 2.3.9 version and I had no problems. There was a new version that I downloaded before I had this problem, which is 2.4.1 on the Triple Dog Crazy Larry, this applies to all Dodge, Fords and GM's and it has the EGR reflash in it.
    The tech and I ran the Duramax on Performance and ran real great and switched to Crazy Larry and while taking off from a stop, we were looking at the end of the tailpipe, it started blowing black smoke which is the norm but when it shifted to 2nd or 3rd gear, smoke stopped and truck hesitated for a bit and a few seconds later it started to smoke more and more and smoking normal the rest of the way and truck started moving faster. Could it be the new version is wrong for this truck for it has the EGR reflash? Could the EGR valve be opening and closing causing this problem?
    The 2.3.8 and 2.3.9 versions were great without problems, I was thinking if I were to go back to those versions instead of the 2.4.1???????????

Going nuts over here.
    Bad Max

I got a message from the tech concerning the engine check light on Extreme, he says that i got two codes that he checked with a scanner and it was 087 or something like it,,,it was the EGR valve and sensing ow pressure in the fuel rail. He called Bully Dog and they recommended to call Pacific Engineering and they said the valve kit from them will stop the engine light from coming back. What is happening is that the Extreme or Crazy Larry program is sucking up a whole lot of fuel through the fuel rail and there is a valve that senses fuel pressure and it senses that the fuel is going by real quick and alerts the ECM that there may be a loss of fuel, etc and the ECM sets the engine light and cuts out the fuel and opens the EGR valve and the RPM's drop to 2000 rpms.
    Waiting for the kit to come in and hopefully that is the problem.
    Also ordered the tie rod sleeves from them to put on my Duramax so I could take off on 4x4 on the track, I did it once but the front tires toed -in. This kit will keep the front tires from toeing in during launch.
    Bad Max

You are lacking fuel supply. Either plugged filter or you simply need a lift pump setup. The shim kit or race valve is NOT necessary so no need to butcher your truck. The fuel filter life is merely a counter like the oil change counter. It knows nothing of the condition of the filter.

Why so many tuner versions? You'd think they'd get it right before public release, or at least after a couple of public releases...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

I should have not listened to my technician who told me to update it.

Is water or diesel supposed to leak out of the bottom of the fuel filter valve when you open it? I did open it to check for water but nothing came out of it.
    Is that normal? I am going to replace the filter soon, I got only 7800 miles on my odometer.

BTW, Kennedy Diesel, could you give me your email address, I like to drop a line, if that is OK with you. Like to talk about your services.
    Bad Max

Best if you check for water after the truck has been sitting. Make sure you turn the bleeder enough turns to make it drain. It can take a few turns to get it open enough. When it is opened enough something should drain out, hopefully just fuel. If there is water it shoild come out first and then followed by fuel. If you catch it in a glass bottle you will be able to see if there is water in it. If there is just a little water, you will see the bubbles in the fuel. If you have ever been around airpcraft, they check the gas tanks on a plane before flight. Basically the same way, and look for water, a whole lot more critical on an airplane for obvious reasons. Also be careful not to overtighten the bleeder valve, it has an O-ring and only needs to be finger tight when closed. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Max View Post
    I should have not listened to my technician who told me to update it.

Is water or diesel supposed to leak out of the bottom of the fuel filter valve when you open it? I did open it to check for water but nothing came out of it.
    Is that normal? I am going to replace the filter soon, I got only 7800 miles on my odometer.

BTW, Kennedy Diesel, could you give me your email address, I like to drop a line, if that is OK with you. Like to talk about your services.
    Bad Max
    www.kennedydiesel.com

There's a link to email in the header.

Open the drain and have someone press the primer. It takes a good few turns to open the valve also. Like the bleeder it doesn't need to be tightened much at all as the oring does the sealing.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner