Thread: Diagnostic/Scan tools

Default Diagnostic/Scan tools

Does any one know of a good diagnostic code reader?
    Looking for one that's easy to use, handheld, can read trouble codes on most makes/models. Also read/diagnos ABS.
    Also give a readout on the code itself as to what it is and possible fix.
    Thanks
    BG

Thats a good question. There has to be at least 3 scan tools for GM diesels that I know of, each of wich will scan different years. See this info at the bottom of my post about my truck? You can fill in yours at the ''User CP'', on this page, and under ''Edit Signature'' on the next. This way someone with a diesel like yours will be able to suggest a code reader that worked well for him.Try it ,there has to be someone here with a truck like yours, they just need the right info to pipe up and add there 2 cents.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Thanks
    I'm sure there is a scan tool out there that will do what I want. I know there is one for each, diagnostic and one for ABS, but I'd like to find one that will do both. If I have to I may get one of each as long as the ABS one will specify which sensor. I hate haveing to shoot wires.
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4

You should be posting your question under the ''Duramax 6600'' heading, there are a lot of guys there that have the same diesel as you have. Compared to yours, mine is an antique diesel.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

I guess your right.
    I just figured it was a general question and not a Duramax specific.
    Thanks
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4

Arrow

This is the right forum. The question could apply to any vehicle.

Anyway, check out Actron at www.actron.com. They are, IMO, one of the best consumer type code readers you can get for not too much money. Lots of models to chose from and many chain auto parts stores carry or can order them. Above that, you get into the Snap-On and the like tools for big $$.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Dittos on the Actron .. I have one that works well for reading and resetting codes and SES lights.. IIRC I paid about $100 a few years ago ... However the one I have can't read stored code history ...

If you're open to using a LapTop PC, Pocket PC, or PDA ther are several OBD2 software products available ... Here's two popular examples ..

http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_scantool.htm

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

a yahoo or google search should turn up some more ...

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD