Thread: I want a lift on my blazer

Default I want a lift on my blazer

does any one have any good suggestions?
    im having a hard time finding any at all or im finding that they are inferior lifts
    im looking at any were from a 2" to a 6"

Question lift

What Year;primary purpose of unit; which lift Body or suspension; and how much--each has it's own quirks
    first--check legality of a lift--each state and providence has different laws
    second--when looking at different lift kits see if problems with steering and linkages are addressed
    third--driveshaft length and angle become an issue
    fourth--cooling--on a body lift the fan position with respects to the rad are changed and makes a radical change in the running temp of the unit
    fifth--general over all handling/stability change with the amount of lift
    sixth--accessibility--short/tall person;-some people do not like climbing in a unit when dressed in their "Sunday go to meeting cloths" on their hands and knees after a Saturday in the trail. Putting stuff into or getting it out of a lifted unit
    general Steps to follow when thinking on a lift:
    1--what is my main reason for a lift?
    2--which lift should i do - body or suspension or both
    3--how much
    4--legality of that lift
    5--when the four steps are answered -- time to start shopping has come
    check out 4x4 sites; mags; shops; other people--ask lots of questions
    6--cost - lift kit itself. steering linkage; driveshaft mods; trans linkage;
    speedo cable; wiring; fuel lines; brake lines; fuel filler tubes; etc
    7--ask yourself this question--"Am I trying to get it back to factory height
    and just a little more"--if that is the case all that is needed would be a
    new set of mounts and maybe springs.
    This is just my own humble opinion. When i did my 79 K30 4x4 new springs and rubber mounts i gained a height increase of 4 inches-makes 30 icnch tires look small. Best of luck-hope this helps.
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

Dont do a body lift, other than 1" for clearance issues, they dont offer any real improvements in offroading (and they look retarded)

What size tire do you want to run on the truck, this will help determine how much (if any) lift you need. Replace all the suspension bushings with polyurathane, that will help alot. If you want to replace the springs on all four corners, call a few local spring shops and get qoutes for new springs.

If you do want a lift, different brands have different ride characteristics. Superlift springs, for example, dont flex much at all (have a high weight rating). Whereas, BDS springs will flex more.

Flexy springs will mean that you need more lift to accomodate the same size tires and not have rubbing issues when offroading.

Usually for up to a 6" lift you dont have to change out the driveshafts, and the angles can be corrected. A block in the rear is fine if your current springs are in good shape, but you will need to buy lift springs for the front.
    Whatever you do, DONT RUN A BLOCK IN THE FRONT!

With lifts of over 3" steering geometry needs correction, the best ways are either a drop pitman arm, an S-shaped draglink, a raised steering arm or a combination of them depending on the amount of lift. Dont get a lift block for the steering arm, its asking for issues. (puts lots of lateral stress on the studs and you WILL break them)
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes

Lightbulb How about Bushwacker cut-outs?

35" tires can be used w/o lift if you go with Bushwacker cut-outs flares. I use 385/75/16 on my burb w/o lift just had to do some trimming/rolling at back edge of fender, I do have an aftermarket frt/bumper the stock bumper needs to be trimmed.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

I'm running Tuff country HD 3" front springs and ORD greasable shackle bushings and 4" easy ride rear and ORD greasable shackle bushing and for tire I have 33X12.50.15 at present. For shocks quad shocks for the front RS 9000 and 5000 and 9000 for the rear