Thread: Duramax/Allison into '85 Chevy Tk

Default Duramax/Allison into '85 Chevy Tk

New member here, trying to learn as much as possible about these engines & transmissions.

I just brought home a '05 LLY engine/trans/transfer case to start my swap. I got every wire from the truck, steering column, fuel lnes/tank & hydraboost setup.

The motor mounts, frame brackets & trans crossmember should make the fabrication a little easier.

Anyone here done one of these?

I guess I'll pick up a shop manual & start reading it everynight.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Lonnie Pavtis
    Lonnies Performance Automotive

this should help.... this guy swaped a Dmax on a 91 Crew Cab truck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duram...spagenameZWDVW

Should you purchase the CD that is referenced above, scan it for viruses prior to copying to your computer. I purchased a copy and it had three viruses on it. After my negative feedback report on ebay, he may have removed the viruses from the files and you might get a clean copy.

I havn't used any of the actual conversion information as of yet as I am not that far along so I cannot speak to the actual value of the information on the CD.
    Stephen H.
    BigRabbitMan
    1976 FMC Motor Coach #1046
    Formerly 440, now LBZ
    Rear engined w/4 wheel independent suspension.
    Tow car: 1987 Subaru Brat 4x4
    http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/phot...asp?albumid=77

Thanks for the reply.

I bought one of those CD's last week on Ebay & it has a lot of pictures, diagrams & aftermarket components used for the conversion. I'm glad I bought it.

BigRabbitMan..... We must have been posting at the same time. I'll look for viruses, now that I'm nervous. I should have checked before I copied it to my laptop.

I had hoped to meet some others that have done this as well.

It looks to be a big project.

Starting with a sandblasted bare frame, which I am painting tomorrow. Spent a few days smoothing & filling. Once I get the cab back from the body shop I can start building the mounts.

Looks like I need a Ford front D60 to get the Drivers Side drop.
    Planning 4.10's & 35" tires.
    Lonnie Pavtis

Although for the '88-'98 body style, The Diesel Page book on conversions would likely answer a number of your questions as well: http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Although for the '88-'98 body style, The Diesel Page book on conversions would likely answer a number of your questions as well: http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm
    Why 88-98? I have a 99 K3500 that I certainly hope is the old style, since that's the shop manuals I ordered. Is there something about the 99's that preclude such a swap?

And just for kicks and grins, how much does a salvage Duramax and transmission go for that wold work in such a swap? ...seems like it'd be best to buy the whole truck.
    1999 GMC K3500
    6.5 TD, stock
    4.10, limited-slip

Quote Originally Posted by mitchedo View Post
    Why 88-98? I have a 99 K3500 that I certainly hope is the old style, since that's the shop manuals I ordered. Is there something about the 99's that preclude such a swap?

And just for kicks and grins, how much does a salvage Duramax and transmission go for that wold work in such a swap? ...seems like it'd be best to buy the whole truck.
    The new GMT-800 body style was introduced in 1999. To avoid confusion, a description of the 90's body style (GMT-400) is usually referenced as 1988-98. GM did build GMT-400 Suburbans and 3500HDs through the 2000 model year.

So, yes your 1999 would be a good candidate. The best advice for acquiring a salvage D/A is to get the best one you can locate (condition & mileage), not worry about LB7, LLY, LBZ or LMM. Try to get the complete truck or a "package" that includes everything you'll need. You shoulld be able to get a nice low mileage package for something in the $7500 range.

Jim

Since it has been a while, I thought i would post a link to some build pictures in case anyone is interesed.

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/82chevyduramax.htm
    Lonnie Pavtis