Thread: Fuel filter fix - now rough idle and white smoke?

Default Fuel filter fix - now rough idle and white smoke?

Wow, it's been a LOOONG time since I've been here. That's kinda a good thing, it means my 1996 6.5 has been great.

Well, until recently. I began smelling fuel, and yep, the fuel heater gasket in the fuel filter was leaking. I didn't find this out until I removed the intake (thought I had a leak in one of the hoses).

Anyway, installed new gaskets, put everything back together and thought I'd be good to go. But, upon cranking I got a LOT of white smoke and very rough idle. I'm thinking maybe fuel isn't getting to all the injectors yet, or air in the line somewhere.

So, I've let it run for about 5 -10 mins, but no change.

Is it possible that some junk got into the Injector Pump during all this? If so, will it eventually clear? - or does that mean a new pump? (crap!)

I'm still reading on here for answers.. . ... just haven't found it yet.

Suggestions, opinions, comments, and criticisms greatly appreciated.
    96/GMC/1500/Ext Cab/Z-71/<br />6.5TD(L56)/4L80/3.73/3.5\"straight pipe

Now . . . . I've read something about air getting into the system can cause white smoke. I've bled the filter (unscrewed the little cap while it was running), and I've put a line on the drain valve. (lots of junk came out!!!).

Still, rough idle and white smoke. Is it possible that there's an air leak in the intake gaskets? They were in really good shape, so I didn't replace them. Would I hear a hissing or whistle if there was an air leak there?

by the way, I'm showing no diagnostic codes.

Air in the fuel system is what does that.

Make sure you do not have an air leak on the suction side of the transfer pump.

If that is OK, then with the engine running, crack each injector line loose one at a time and see what happens.

When the line is loosened the engine should miss on that cylinder.

Likely you have a nasty load of air in the system yet.

If you have a cylinder that does not change when the line is cracked loose, then you may have a bad injector.

The intake gaskets do not cause issues. The engine can run fine with the intake sitting on the bench.

Air in the fuel is what causes issues.

Keep us posted

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY