Thanks for the info 16 gauge.

I got another problem now with my pickup 1996 Z71 with a 6.5TD. This truck is driving me nuts. It could run fine for months and then the engine lights up. When the engine lights up it could be on for days with no performance problem and sometimes it might stall and start up again but with no power. Last week it stalled while driving and the engine light came on. Was able to start it but then stalled again and unable to start it. Left parked for two days. Tried again on Monday and guess what no problem engine light gone and rides like a champ again. I had brougt it to GM the first time this happened and they changed the fuel pump that was two years ago. A year later same problem. GM this time changed the PMD and seemed to run fine. Only lasted a month then engine light came on again. The truck still performed well despite the engine light. I then called back the dealer and brought it in and with the scanner on they were not able to find anything wrong. The light went off and did not come back unit last friday since early summer. Is there a way to read the codes without going to the dealer? I'm also open for any suggestions?